Tire advice- Stock rims/Suspention with 37's Baja TA's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I noticed Baja TA's on craigslist go for like $1,200 a set new and mounted on military rims.

I have seen them sell for $800 a set new on the forums too.

My back two BFG AT KO's are bald to the bars, and I need new tires before going snowboarding this season.

I was thinking of getting fiberglass fenders for $500 (can I install these myself?), removing the firewall seam for the rear tires, and possibly fabricating some front fender liners. Also thinking of Top Perch.

With these mods, can I do 100MPH+ desert offroading like I do today with my 35's? I have already ripped out the front fender liner on the whoops, I hit pretty hard. Another time before that on the whoops I bent my rear axle. Whoops are not for the raptor (at least ones over about a foot high, two or more in a row).

Anyways, My goal is to get some cheap nice tires that dont wear out after only 20k miles. I am pretty hard on the tires and spin them constantly in the dirt.

I dont want to buy new rims or suspention upgrades, as I want to wait until there are more options and the technology gets more DIY.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
You shouldn't have a problem with 37's doing the mods you have in mind. I would worry more about Baja TA's in the snow. That would be an entertaining drive to say the least!!

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You and a buddy can install the fiberglass yourselves. I did mine with a friend. I recommend a Dremel, several beers, and some patience.

The trick is to drill small holes, mount, and adjust.... Rinse and repeat.
Over and over you'll be hanging them, checking your lines and gaps, removing them, adjusting the mounting points you're drilling to compensate, hanging them again, checking gaps again, adjusting again, etc etc. until they look right. Start small and make small adjustments as you go. If you just start drilling holes quickly and assuming everything is gonna line up just fine you're probably gonna end up disappointed.

It's a bit tedious, but you don't want to send them out to paint until you've got clean tight gaps.

I'm happy with the way mine turned out.
Here are some pics of the gaps.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353427621.972039.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353427642.139315.jpg

Allied Offroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suspension upgrades are as DIY as they are ever going to get in a fox or king 3.0 bolt in set up. You can't get anymore DIY then that. Unless the shocks start putting themselves on the truck, LOL!,

as far as 37s on stock wheels, they are going to rub on the inside of the tire, against the upper A-arm. I wouldn't do it. Fiberglass fenders are pretty easy to install yourself.

OP
OP
K

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't have a problem with 37's doing the mods you have in mind. I would worry more about Baja TA's in the snow. That would be an entertaining drive to say the least!!

Good point about the snow. Are they that bad?

Also, how come people say 37's work, and others say they rub? Is there a clear answer or does it depend so much on the tire/pressure/wheel, etc.?

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
I've looked at several trucks with 37" bajas on stock wheels with stock fenders. You can cut back a little on the back outer side of the fender and the flare will cover it up. No rubbing.

I am going to 37" bajas soon.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
IMAG0945.jpg

37x13.5 with stock fenders and liners...still intact after almost 1,000 off-road miles. As soon as I tear out the fender liner I'm going to get new glass. Until then I'm OK with spending my money on other mods. :waytogo:

OP
OP
K

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMAG0945.jpg

37x13.5 with stock fenders and liners...still intact after almost 1,000 off-road miles. As soon as I tear out the fender liner I'm going to get new glass. Until then I'm OK with spending my money on other mods. :waytogo:

Perfect, thank you!

How will this work for me without the method rims? I wanted to use the stock rims, and I think they have a funky offset (if thats the right word).

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

Nice crawlers. I was thinking of going with projects or the Baja TA's

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been VERY happy with my projects on the road. Coming from red label grabbers, everything would probably seem better. Although, mine are the DOT version so not sure how much that helps.