GEN 2 Time to find a new RAPTOR?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll grab the truck today and then park it until I can take it to the independent shop.

Thanks ya'll for the help and support. I'll worry about the differential first then the trans.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you can, also pull a sample of the diff fluid for lab testing. It's jut more information on wear, possible contamination, or incorrect lubricants. I had engine oil, trans & rear diff fluids all tested. The engine & diff fluids were both found to have no unusual signs of wear or excessive metals, but the trans..... well it was time for a rebuild.

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you can, also pull a sample of the diff fluid for lab testing. It's jut more information on wear, possible contamination, or incorrect lubricants. I had engine oil, trans & rear diff fluids all tested. The engine & diff fluids were both found to have no unusual signs of wear or excessive metals, but the trans..... well it was time for a rebuild.
Thanks a lot!

I will say something, I had the TSB for our trans done on the truck years back and it was shifting like butter. As soon as I put my tune back on though, it kinda started getting ****** after 2 or 3 months.

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I pick up my old limp dik tomorrow...

Drop it off at the shop on WED for new diff internals.

wazatataza

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your tranny is likely fine, I’d flush and refill. Many aftermarket tunes get all clancky over time. I had a Gearhead tune that would run buttery smooth for a month and then do harsh 3-4 or 3-5 shifts and harsh 1-2 also. Every time I had to remove the tune, go back to stock and do again. Till I went Goosetune. It’s worth it on the TCM tune alone

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I may have to goose it soon. Thanks for the help. Yeah like you both said, fluid out of the trans, new filter and fluid in. Remove the tune, run it for a week tuneless, then maybe put the tune back on.

LeadFootSFL

Reaction score
Your tranny is likely fine, I’d flush and refill. Many aftermarket tunes get all clancky over time. I had a Gearhead tune that would run buttery smooth for a month and then do harsh 3-4 or 3-5 shifts and harsh 1-2 also. Every time I had to remove the tune, go back to stock and do again. Till I went Goosetune. It’s worth it on the TCM tune alone
Not to hijack OPs thread but are you saying that the COBB TCM tune gets rid of the harsh shifts on tuned trucks? I have the harsh 3-4 or 3-5 shifts and harsh 1-2 shifts with the COBB OTS tune I am running. Clearing the TCM learn often fixes it for a month or so and then it comes back. Do I just need to buy the TCM tune?

wazatataza

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack OPs thread but are you saying that the COBB TCM tune gets rid of the harsh shifts on tuned trucks? I have the harsh 3-4 or 3-5 shifts and harsh 1-2 shifts with the COBB OTS tune I am running. Clearing the TCM learn often fixes it for a month or so and then it comes back. Do I just need to buy the TCM tune?
I would reach out to @GooseTuned. Usually a mechanical fault will likely be a consistent failure. Something that changes with electronic programming is pointed more towards a programming issue that can be overridden.

I don’t know how the OTS maps from Cobb work, but if it’s anything similiar to my experience with GH, the transmission still seems to hold onto the relearn feature which I believe is what attributes to the clunky-ness.