Third brake light - which one are you guys running?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ACE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The design intent of the rear aftermarket lights are for them to be chase lights, not fog lights. Since I’ve had a bad experience with not seeing someone’s low powered “chase lights” I wanted to make mine as visible as possible and I feel the combo lense is the best option for me. I’d say if you have a wide cornering on both sides of the light there’s is going to be more overlap of light waves which I believe is a disadvantage.

For me I don’t really use the rear lights to see, I use them for people to see me. Rarely do I put them on in reverse unless I’m in some tight areas at night if I’m not off roading at an event. Since I don’t have the extra harnesses I can’t really comment on those other options. However, I like to control when lights go on on my own terms so if I wanted the work light to go on I’d hook it up to an upfitter switch because there will be times you don’t want that big light coming on. Regarding the stop/turn harness I do not see the point on this as I don’t use turn signals when off roading. You don’t have time for that stuff when you’re going fast. If I need to get the person behind me’s attention I flick the rear lights via the upfitter switch on and off, But really radios should be the first line of communication when off-roading in an event. These lights are not street legal (unless there is a DOT/SAE rear brake light out there) so you technically can’t use them on regular roads. Another reason why I’m against that harness option.

In the end though it’s all about personal preference and your use case! So do what you think is best for how you use your truck.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The design intent of the rear aftermarket lights are for them to be chase lights, not fog lights. Since I’ve had a bad experience with not seeing someone’s low powered “chase lights” I wanted to make mine as visible as possible and I feel the combo lense is the best option for me. I’d say if you have a wide cornering on both sides of the light there’s is going to be more overlap of light waves which I believe is a disadvantage.

For me I don’t really use the rear lights to see, I use them for people to see me. Rarely do I put them on in reverse unless I’m in some tight areas at night if I’m not off roading at an event. Since I don’t have the extra harnesses I can’t really comment on those other options. However, I like to control when lights go on on my own terms so if I wanted the work light to go on I’d hook it up to an upfitter switch because there will be times you don’t want that big light coming on. Regarding the stop/turn harness I do not see the point on this as I don’t use turn signals when off roading. You don’t have time for that stuff when you’re going fast. If I need to get the person behind me’s attention I flick the rear lights via the upfitter switch on and off, But really radios should be the first line of communication when off-roading in an event. These lights are not street legal (unless there is a DOT/SAE rear brake light out there) so you technically can’t use them on regular roads. Another reason why I’m against that harness option.

In the end though it’s all about personal preference and your use case! So do what you think is best for how you use your truck.

As far as the work light goes I have S2 Sports in my Banshee bumper already in the work/scene pattern, so I figured it would make sense that the one in the third brake light would also turn on in reverse, although I do also have them wired up to one of the upfitter switches so I can manually turn them on too. There's not been a time at night that I don't appreciate more light behind the truck when backing up.

As far as the extra harness setup goes yes, I don't quite understand the need for the BD lights to act as turn signals, normal running lights, or brake lights. I feel like they are far too bright for that kind of use.

I know the driving/combo will project out further from the truck, but I was just assuming for dust/fog use the wide cornering would be better. I know they need to be amber either way.

NateMob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the driving/combo will project out further from the truck, but I was just assuming for dust/fog use the wide cornering would be better. I know they need to be amber either way.

S2 Sports in the Driving/Combo is what you need. The wide cornering pattern just doesnt have enough throw and punch for a dust light when the guy behind you is going 50-60mph and you're stopped. Baja Designs' Combo lens is merely one Spot and one Wide Cornering lens for the best of both worlds in this sort of application.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
S2 Sports in the Driving/Combo is what you need. The wide cornering pattern just doesnt have enough throw and punch for a dust light when the guy behind you is going 50-60mph and you're stopped. Baja Designs' Combo lens is merely one Spot and one Wide Cornering lens for the best of both worlds in this sort of application.

Sounds good, I'll go with that then. I just wasn't sure since they recommend wide cornering for the front fog lights.

Rick at FMS

aka:Rick @ FreedomMotorsports
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Damn, just got to the end of this thread and see you just ordered. Could of saved you some money being a FRF member.
I ran the GJ on my GEN1 and now on my GEN2. You purchased a good setup. I had pros on my GEN1 and they are to bright, especially at night. I now have sports but I never run them on pavement, still not DOT.
Have the wide part of the lens on the outer edges. When you are in dust and slightly angled on the trail or around a corner, the wide works better for the person to see you from behind. The spot aims straight back and the wide shines to the sides, hence why it's the most common combination that we sell.

You will enjoy the new setup
Rick

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Damn, just got to the end of this thread and see you just ordered. Could of saved you some money being a FRF member.
I ran the GJ on my GEN1 and now on my GEN2. You purchased a good setup. I had pros on my GEN1 and they are to bright, especially at night. I now have sports but I never run them on pavement, still not DOT.
Have the wide part of the lens on the outer edges. When you are in dust and slightly angled on the trail or around a corner, the wide works better for the person to see you from behind. The spot aims straight back and the wide shines to the sides, hence why it's the most common combination that we sell.

You will enjoy the new setup
Rick

Thanks Rick. Didn't even think of reaching out on the discount, but no worries. I'll make sure when I install them I put the wide cornering lens on the outsides. The Sports are even quite bright, I can't imagine running the Pros. I have the Squadron Sports on the front in amber wide cornering and white driving/combo and they're incredibly bright.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I run that set up as well. I like that the center cargo light comes on with the truck bed lights when you push the button near the tailgate. I have ridged back up lights while reversing or on switch 6. I also wired up some white BD lights on top of the bed for rear facing work lights.

Dr_Chooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has any wild man ever attempted or thought about running the Evil Manufacturing camera set up in the center location of the GJ Motorsport 3rd light kit?
I like the idea of a rear facing camera in that location so you don’t have to contend with the sliding glass. It would also allow you to run two ambers to be compliant with most run requirements.
If this sounds asinine or reasonable let me know? I’m not super well versed in automotive wiring and have just started looking at dash/rear camera options.

raydulce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but i thought it was better than starting a new one. If I ever join one of these offroad events where the lights are needed/suggested, do they need to be mounted as high as possible? Or can these amber lights be mounted next to the rear tow hooks down low? Thanks!

1677605329343.png