Third brake light - which one are you guys running?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Now that I'll be going to the Softopper I'm wanting to replace my third brake light. I still have the factory one, and it's getting pretty dingy and I want to replace it. I know that a lot of the aftermarket third brake lights leak which is one of the issues why the cab corners rust out on these trucks. I was looking at the Dirt Kartel one, but that requires drilling into the cab. It looks like the GJ Motorsports one is similar but uses the stock mounting holes. I'm just wondering if there's other good options out there. Also, I'm curious what you guys chose to run for lights if you're using the Baja Designs lights in it. I figured I'd run at least one white work/scene for bed lighting, but am not sure what I'd like to put on the outside spots since the lights have red LED's integrated into them for brake lights. Thanks!

Last edited:

bubblehead93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most folks running offroad events, trails like TORR "Reach to the Beach", require two rear facing amber offroad lights...

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
most folks running offroad events, trails like TORR "Reach to the Beach", require two rear facing amber offroad lights...

Is it specified how bright or what size they need to be? I was kind of wondering what the reason for putting rear facing amber lights in was. At this point I'm considering doing white work/scene lights on the outside for bed lighting with a red spot in the middle as a brake light.

ACE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear facing amber lights are for dusty/snowy conditions so that the person behind you can see where you’re at so they don’t crash into you. I run the Gen 2 raptor GJ Motorsports brake light with the antenna mount for my radio. Rear Ambers are pretty much a requirement for all offroad events and even if it isn’t it is really nice to have (the people behind you will thank you). The BD sports are just fine for raptor runs as I’ve had people who run the pro BDs be told to shut them off because they were really bright. My set up is 2 amber sport BDs with combo lenses (wider cornering and spot) and then the BD sport work/scene light in the middle

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rear facing amber lights are for dusty/snowy conditions so that the person behind you can see where you’re at so they don’t crash into you. I run the Gen 2 raptor GJ Motorsports brake light with the antenna mount for my radio. Rear Ambers are pretty much a requirement for all offroad events and even if it isn’t it is really nice to have (the people behind you will thank you). The BD sports are just fine for raptor runs as I’ve had people who run the pro BDs be told to shut them off because they were really bright. My set up is 2 amber sport BDs with combo lenses (wider cornering and spot) and then the BD sport work/scene light in the middle

Maybe I'll do that setup then. I figured you'd want the wide cornering for the ambers so that they disperse behind the truck rather than projecting out too far backwards. White work/scene in the middle makes sense for bed lighting. I'm running the wide cornering ambers in front for my fog lights and they're pretty dang bright.

ACE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get the NMO antenna mount you will want to buy a few caps for it so you don’t get any corrosion or moisture in there and so you don’t have to keep an antenna on it constantly. I use the Larsen Plastic Rain Cap for NMO antenna.

ACE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For antennas with the GJ brake light you want a no ground plane antenna and something that has a spring so that the antenna can hit an object, deflect backwards, and then come back to its original position. If you don’t have a spring with the antenna you will just bend your antenna permanently if you hit it.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if I was going to get one with the antenna or not yet, but maybe it would be a good idea. I don't have a radio in the truck yet though either.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Questions on this - I know for sure you'd want the work/scene for the center white light, but wouldn't it be best to have wide cornering for the outer amber ones since they are supposed to be functioning as rear fog lights basically? Everything I've read says to use the wide cornering lenses for fog style lighting.

Also, I plan to get the reverse harness as I think that would be handy for the cargo light to turn on with the reverse lights, but is there any reason to get the stop/tail/turn harness? I don't want the outer lights coming on with the brakes or running lights, and I don't want them to function as turn signals either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter