GEN 2 Thinking about selling...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Traded my 801a 2017 (pictured to the left), 32K miles for $53,000.00 flat. I paid $59,650 (all in) 2 years ago. They hold their value. As did my 2011 when I traded it for the 2017.

haysam tawfik

Reaction score
you might want to check out the F80 CS. Dealers are discounting them around $15K, and with strong residuals, they're leasing for around a thousand or under. If you're able to grab one at $85K (100K MSRP), the CS will hold value better than other F80s and would be a smart buy at $85K.

FrodoTBaggins88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trading in a car at a dealership is going to get you less money almost 100% of the time. Unless you're trying to trade something no one wants or are short on time/patience selling private party is the way to go. I buy and sell cars all the time and I've only traded in one car in like 10 years, everything else has been sold on craigslist and I've almost always gotten back like 90% of that I paid. A couple of cars I got back more than I paid. A 2008 H2 SUT (was fresh out of basic training cut me some slack) and a 2013 FJ Cruiser both sold for more than I paid because they were out of production. I broke even on my 2015 Nissan GT-R when I sold it. I always take a car by a dealer to get a trade appraisal before I sell it so I can see how much I would have lost.

SSWIM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trading in a car at a dealership is going to get you less money almost 100% of the time. Unless you're trying to trade something no one wants or are short on time/patience selling private party is the way to go. I buy and sell cars all the time and I've only traded in one car in like 10 years, everything else has been sold on craigslist and I've almost always gotten back like 90% of that I paid. A couple of cars I got back more than I paid. A 2008 H2 SUT (was fresh out of basic training cut me some slack) and a 2013 FJ Cruiser both sold for more than I paid because they were out of production. I broke even on my 2015 Nissan GT-R when I sold it. I always take a car by a dealer to get a trade appraisal before I sell it so I can see how much I would have lost.

While this may be true in many instances, I find the tax break a benefit in most scenarios when I am trading up. Where we live sales tax is right at 10%.
My last Raptor deal saved me 4K + on the sales tax deferred. It was also a benefit in the fact I did not have to deal with all the looky lous that come with trying to sell a vehicle ones self. In the end, I may have been able to profit a little selling outright, but my time is worth more than that.

Sam

FrodoTBaggins88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While this may be true in many instances, I find the tax break a benefit in most scenarios when I am trading up. Where we live sales tax is right at 10%.
My last Raptor deal saved me 4K + on the sales tax deferred. It was also a benefit in the fact I did not have to deal with all the looky lous that come with trying to sell a vehicle ones self. In the end, I may have been able to profit a little selling outright, but my time is worth more than that.

Sam

Good point. Yeah the numbers will not always work in your favor with taxes on a high-value vehicle but in my experience I've always saved a few thousand even with paying the full tax on the new vehicle purchase. It could just be that the dealers in my area lowball everyone on trades. Obviously you need to compare for yourself in your own situation and trading is definitely less of a hassle than dealing with tire kickers.

Also SSWIM am I crazy or are you also on the Maverick x3 forum?

SSWIM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point. Yeah the numbers will not always work in your favor with taxes on a high-value vehicle but in my experience I've always saved a few thousand even with paying the full tax on the new vehicle purchase. It could just be that the dealers in my area lowball everyone on trades. Obviously you need to compare for yourself in your own situation and trading is definitely less of a hassle than dealing with tire kickers.

Also SSWIM am I crazy or are you also on the Maverick x3 forum?

Yep. Same user name. SSWIM

Sam

Fury Road

Reaction score
Sold my F80 M3 a few months ago, picked up Raptor this week. Have always loved them and would have both if I could, but the M3 has limitations. That said I get a little bored with anything after a while. Two totally different vehicles but I’m hoping I appreciate the versatility of the Raptor a bit more.

I would second looking at comp/cs packages. The stock F80 lacked some of the “M” magic over previous iterations but seems to be improved with the comp/cs packages. Powerful car but it struggles at times putting it all down on the pavement. Just my two cents