The Incredible Navajo Sandstone - Page AZ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desertfox73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
John, when you mentioned the wave, I've unfortunately only seen pics of it. Can you drive to it or do you have to park and hike in?
You drive to the Buckskin Gulch trailhead, then start walking along a wash across from the parking area...like you're hiking Buckskin. At some point along the wash you exit right, go up a hill, and that takes you (eventually) to the Wave. It's definitely a hike, and you can wander as much as you like or take the most direct/traveled route.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
John, when you mentioned the wave, I've unfortunately only seen pics of it. Can you drive to it or do you have to park and hike in?
Hike in only with a hard to get permit :(
Michael Fatali’s famous image of the Wave as well as his Light Beam Shot in Antelope Canyon were featured in World Wide magazine’s, thus making both a World Wide MUST SEE ATTRACTIONS. The Wave Permit from “The Man” can be extremely difficult to get, folks from all over the world are battling to obtain the coveted permit. There are a certain number of walk up permits available every day, at least there use to be?
The Wave itself is actually very small in comparison to other similar waves, such as the area I was in on my trip. Valley of Fire in Vegas has a Wave out there too.
If you can obtain a permit it’s worth the hike, if not there are even more incredibly beautiful imag to capture in the area, IMHO.
WIRE PASS and BUCKSKIN GULCH SLOT are Magnificent and in the same area.
I will be posting soon some shots that I captured in the South Terminating Point of Buckskin Gulch at Lee’s Ferry, a Bucket List hike that I was FINALLY able to do on this trip. Breathtaking and Solitude don’t come close to describing the Hike.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
You drive to the Buckskin Gulch trailhead, then start walking along a wash across from the parking area...like you're hiking Buckskin. At some point along the wash you exit right, go up a hill, and that takes you (eventually) to the Wave. It's definitely a hike, and you can wander as much as you like or take the most direct/traveled route.
One of the reasons for the permit was, after Fatali’s images made their world wide splash, everyone and their mother, along with their ZERO FNING KNOWLEDGE of Desert Hiking, started wandering out there in search of “The Wave”. You know where this is leading, Lost MFers, Heat Stroke/ Exhaustion and SAR calls. So the man has to step in and save us from ourselves under the guise of “preservation“
same exact MFING thing to Angels Landing in Zion. A few FNING IDIOTS fall off every year and some P O S Berkeley Professor weighs in with his CA Communist views that the NPS needs to save these people. It’s called Natural Selection, cull the heard ;) .. No Offense