Antelope Canyon - Another Adventure for Your Bucket List

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

r8ders

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. If you don't mind, can you share what were you shooting with what settings did you use?

Thank you

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. If you don't mind, can you share what were you shooting with what settings did you use?

Thank you
It was my Pentax KS2, the lens was a super wide angle, one step above a fisheye so you don’t loose the edges.
I shot Manual on Landscape setting.
II was all on a Tripod.
I shot probably 1k shots in there because I didn’t know if I would ever be back there. Every shot was done with 2 steps above and 2 below what I thought it should be, so I would have something to work with in the end.
We did the photography tour and the Guide was extremely helpful with the settings. I think he knew more about my camera than I did, but that’s not hard to do.
Oh the other secret our Guide showed me was to shoot everything on a 3-seconds timer unless you have a remote shutter control. It was essential in eliminating camera shake. Kind of like the Trigger Squeeze at Thousand Yards with Iron Sights ;) :)

r8ders

Reaction score
It was my Pentax KS2, the lens was a super wide angle, one step above a fisheye so you don’t loose the edges.
I shot Manual on Landscape setting.
II was all on a Tripod.
I shot probably 1k shots in there because I didn’t know if I would ever be back there. Every shot was done with 2 steps above and 2 below what I thought it should be, so I would have something to work with in the end.
We did the photography tour and the Guide was extremely helpful with the settings. I think he knew more about my camera than I did, but that’s not hard to do.
Oh the other secret our Guide showed me was to shoot everything on a 3-seconds timer unless you have a remote shutter control. It was essential in eliminating camera shake. Kind of like the Trigger Squeeze at Thousand Yards with Iron Sights ;) :)
Thanks for the information. I have a RF remote shutter release but thanks for the note on the 3 second timer. There's been a few times I forgot to check the battery on the remote and had to default to the timer. Antelope Canyon in on my wife's bucket list on places to go

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
I’ve been wanting to experience these slots for a long time. Amazing!
Worth the wait. Add on the Rattle Snake Canyon tour also, it’s adjacent to Antelope. If I can find the pictures from there I’ll throw them up.
Just down the street in that area is the Famous Horseshoe Bend Overlook. No guide needed for that one and it’s only about 2miles RT or you can make it longer

MPRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great Pics as usual for you John! Thx for sharing, but the best part of your post is this statement:
“If you enjoy your tour, Tip accordingly, why you ask? Tour a Reservation and you will never ask again...”
I grew up in Northern New Mexico and have seen the struggles of the indigenous people and Pueblos as well as the Reservations across the Southwest.
Thank you for this statement and the sentiment behind it. Keep the wonderful pics coming please!

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Beautiful pics. for some reason, the pics with you and others in it are either blurry or very low resolution. Just about impossible to make out the faces. But obviously that's not the star of the show.

In 2017 we were there, having driven our Gen2 Raptor from NY. Unfortunately, we did not know you needed reservations and it was all sold out.

In 2019 we were prepared and had reservations. Loved it.

If I'm not mistaken and I may be, when the group was killed due to the flash flood, that was also a guided tour.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep, as you can see here, the guide survived.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
Great Pics as usual for you John! Thx for sharing, but the best part of your post is this statement:
“If you enjoy your tour, Tip accordingly, why you ask? Tour a Reservation and you will never ask again...”
I grew up in Northern New Mexico and have seen the struggles of the indigenous people and Pueblos as well as the Reservations across the Southwest.
Thank you for this statement and the sentiment behind it. Keep the wonderful pics coming please!
Thank you Sir, it truly is a horrible that we allow our own people to live like this in our backyard. Before we send another dollar to some third-world S<>t-Hole, how about we bring the Reservations up to the Poverty Level!! My son and several of his friends have gone with different groups to help build housing on different Reservations. It changed them all. They will be better than me ..

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife and I were just there in August for our 10th anniversary. Amazing!! The fact that Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend are mere miles from each other is astonishing. Both just unbelievable to the eyes. Thanks for sharing. Incredible photography.