Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Texas to Mexicali, Baja California

Discussion in 'Destinations Tips HowTo's and Safety' started by 7six2, Sep 9, 2020.

1. jondle

jondle Full Access Member

I've crossed at Mexicali a few times and never had issues or felt at risk in the slightest. Like @RDFTS , I've never stopped since I'm on my way to off-road, but if you have a gated parking lot and you're only there during the day I would have zero concern. I would get Mexican insurance just to be safe. EXO uses Baja Bound insurance, so they are used to dealing with Raptors and this community. There is a Global Entry lane for the return trip, which Tecate doesn't have. Personally, I would be more leary of leaving my truck in Yuma or Calexico than I would driving it into Mexicali for a day.

2. Chris S

Chris S Member

You may want to look at the return crossing information, last week the wait at the border coming back into the US was 9 hours, just FYI. I have taken my Raptor into Baja numerous times, but currently there is a moratorium on crossings except for essential business until September 21. That has caused massive delays. I do agree, leaving a Raptor in Calexico, is a very bad idea, not sure about Mexicali either, both probably pretty sketchy.

3. 7six2

7six2 Full Access Member

Yikes!!! That kind of wait time is not gonna work. My trip will be after September 21st so maybe that will help.

4. 7six2

7six2 Full Access Member

Ok. UPDATE: I ended up getting another technician to take my place. I've been covering this out-of-town job for 11 years; but now that my responsibilities have increased its getting harder to be away from home base for very long. Between work load, COVID concerns, and concerns about my truck I just decided it would be best to sit this one out. Thanks for the otherwise helpful advice fellas.

jondle likes this.