Temporary bug protection.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MontanaSkiRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do a lot of road trips across states and when summer hits the bugs get crazy and I get real tired of scrubbing them off my front hood/mirrors/bumper. I had a lightbulb of an idea while I was looking for temporary clear bra like EZ Shield paint protector, why not use good quality saran wrap or plastic packing wrap for a temporary road trip protection film. So I pulled out the Costco wrap and put it on to see what the hell would happen and it worked like a charm. It sticks tight and comes right off with no issue and you can layer it and it's cheap. So when getting to my destination I pull it off and it's a whole lot cleaner. Obviously don't cover your grill with it....duh......or windshield. Yes I do also have a clear bra on it as well but it can still be a pain in the ass to clean and they can be stained by bugs.
photo.jpg

OP
OP
M

MontanaSkiRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes...lol all you want but I hate having a clean ride and then having it messed up by only bugs, don't want to take the time to wash them off after a long drive especially when those big juicy ones that stain paint and clear bras get on. Just peel it off. Beats paying $20 for 3" by 80' roll of the professional stuff. No one really sees it on the highway except maybe people at the gas station lol. Laziness is the mother of invention!

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i know alot of people that use the blue painters tape on there cars. they use it when they are on their way to a car show they are entering that is far away.

OP
OP
M

MontanaSkiRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen that as well, I'm actually using some blue painters tape on my passenger door sill for protection until I can get some decent black door sills. For some reason my wife and sons can't get in without dragging their feet across them and scratching them.

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
After a 500+ mile trip from Eugene, Oregon down to Alameda, California I messed up a number of hotel towels removing a quadrillion of dead bugs from every front facing surface of my truck (and this little buggers start stinking quickly)
And yes, my clear bra has (now permanent) bug stains.

Surf City Garage

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
One thing to watch out for on stuff like this is an issue my friend ran into driving from SoCal to Vegas for SEMA in his show truck a few years ago.

He used a clear film in the same way you did here, thinking it would make cleanup easier and prevent any damage.

Problem was that around the edges where the film came loose it flapped in the wind (15 freeway to Vegas probably doing 80+ mph the whole way) by the time he arrived the areas where the plastic had been slapping against were completely dull and scratched.

So while he didn't have bugs or chips HE DID have some pretty significant damage to his otherwise flawless high dollar paint job.

So keep in mind its not always the rubbing or the impacts that will get you... just something as innocuous as a clear film being whipped around on your paint can do some serious damage.

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One thing to watch out for on stuff like this is an issue my friend ran into driving from SoCal to Vegas for SEMA in his show truck a few years ago.

He used a clear film in the same way you did here, thinking it would make cleanup easier and prevent any damage.

Problem was that around the edges where the film came loose it flapped in the wind (15 freeway to Vegas probably doing 80+ mph the whole way) by the time he arrived the areas where the plastic had been slapping against were completely dull and scratched.

So while he didn't have bugs or chips HE DID have some pretty significant damage to his otherwise flawless high dollar paint job.

So keep in mind its not always the rubbing or the impacts that will get you... just something as innocuous as a clear film being whipped around on your paint can do some serious damage.

Bingo! I was just going to bring up the flapping issue. Still a good idea if you can get it to stick.