Switching from Gen 2 to an F250?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Umlify

Reaction score
I went from a Dodge 2500 Cummins to a 2017 F250 diesel and then instantly into the raptor due to a lemon law issue with the F250.
All issues with mine aside, you must really understand the differences when going to a diesel. Little nuances like the water/fuel separator is one thing. It’s well documented on the new F250 forums that by the time the water/fuel separator light comes on to empty it that it’s already too late and water has entered the engine. By that time, it’s an engine replacement and not a warranty claim. So in this example, you just have to remember every 3-5 fill-ups that you need to empty it.
There are other things to be proactive on as well, this is just one example. A diesel will require extra attention over a gas.
I loved the new 6.7 diesel though. Very smooth and quiet daily driver.
With that being said, I am so glad it was a lemon and I ended up in the Raptor.

WH7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just came from an F250 King Ranch 6.7. Loved it. Bought it thinking we were going to get an RV. Started looking at overall cost of camping, fuel, maintenance etc... ended up changing horses midstream and got a boat. Didn’t really need the F250 for the boat. Drove a raptor and BAM. I was all in. Had to get one. While I thoroughly enjoyed the Super Duty I didn’t like crawling under it and checking wate/fuel separator, putting additives in the tank, expensive oil changes, and nasty Diesel pumps and the fact that it was a tad too long to get in the garage. And didn’t really fit in parking spots very well. I thought it rode awesome, abundant power, fun to drive. Can’t blame anyone wanting one. But I had always wanted a Raptor. Still think, whether Gen 1 or Gen2, best looking truck on the planet. Love, love, love them. As someone mentioned above. Life is short, drive what makes you happy.

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s well documented on the new F250 forums that by the time the water/fuel separator light comes on to empty it that it’s already too late and water has entered the engine. By that time, it’s an engine replacement and not a warranty claim.

Just to clarify:
It's not water entering the motor causing a full motor replacement. It's water entering the fuel system which could lead to a replacement of the fuel system.

Yes, one needs to be sure they drain the separator on a good routine. More importantly one needs to use quality fuel, from a quality station. DO NOT use fuel your Cousin's Daughter's Brother said is in the barn and good to go.

I'm in the same camp as @WH7 has already gone.

runewrath

Reaction score
I’ve got both a 2017 F250 and 2017 Screw. The power level is pretty similar with both trucks being tuned. The raptor is just quicker down low. But when it comes time to pass someone going slow on the highway they seem pretty close. The biggest difference between the two for me is just the ride quality. The raptor is hands down more comfortable, but I regularly tow a 34’ enclosed trailer so the F250 has to stay. But for a daily driver that doesn’t tow a lot, you really can’t beat the raptor. And I’m pretty sure the only option on the superduty that you can’t get in the raptor is the massaging seats and they’re really not that great anyways.

OP
OP
texrun38

texrun38

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, folks. I really do appreciate the insightful comments. My Raptor is pretty loaded (802a, technology package, etc.) I just didn't get the decals or the sunroof. I have always loved the 250s and this newer version looks awesome, rides great, etc., but admittedly it’s overkill for me (but so is a Raptor). I think the maintenance may scare me off, even though I’d love to have the 6.5’ bed and power to do anything I’d ever want. Many thanks!