Sunroof broke this morning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ejholt

Reaction score
Is there a way to manually close the pano roof? Mine is stuck fully open. I can push the close button and it closes about 25% stops and then retracts again. I found the same piece broken. I've maybe opened it a dozen times in the 5 yrs I've owned it.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
There’s probably debris in the track. See if you can put eyes on the track system. Mine was stuck open when it broke too, and after several attempts to close, with as much “help” as I could give I got it closed so I could get home without too much drama.

I know it doesn’t help now but going forward:
1) lube regularly with Krytox grease, can get on amazon. 1-2 time / year is enough. keep rubber seals clean and lubed.
2) always open to vent FIRST. This breaks the seal if there’s any stickiness. Then close, THEN move the glass to the rear.
3) exercise regularly.

ejholt

Reaction score
There’s probably debris in the track. See if you can put eyes on the track system. Mine was stuck open when it broke too, and after several attempts to close, with as much “help” as I could give I got it closed so I could get home without too much drama.

1) lube regularly with Krytox grease, can get on amazon. 1-2 time / year is enough. keep rubber seals clean and lubed.
2) always open to vent FIRST. This breaks the seal if there’s any stickiness. Then close, THEN move the glass to the rear.
3) exercise regularly.
Thank You for the tips!! I just ordered the grease from Amazon and the replacement track as well. Going to examine the track tomorrow in the light and hopefully move it closed, so I can get the glass out when the parts arrive. I took out 1 of the broken pieces from 1 side. I must have broken the other side as well and that piece is lodged in there somewhere.

ejholt

Reaction score

3) exercise regularly.
Mine closes about 4 inches or so then returns. I've checked the track with a flash light and see nothing in there and even run my fingers & brush to clear out anything. You can see there is a broken piece along the track where 1 of the glides are in the back portion of the track. If I take out the 3 screws on either side of the glass, will I be able to remove the glass all together, so I can do the repair?

Attachments

• IMG_7034.jpeg
    IMG_7034.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7035.jpeg
    IMG_7035.jpeg
    208.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7036.jpeg
    IMG_7036.jpeg
    342.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7038.jpeg
    IMG_7038.jpeg
    181.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7039.jpeg
    IMG_7039.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 9

ejholt

Reaction score
You can see this piece is broken along the guide that the bolt appears it might travel up and down the track.

Attachments

• IMG_7042.jpeg
    IMG_7042.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 7

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When the track breaks like that, it is done. It isn't surprising that it won't close now as it is *****. Yes you take out the 3 screws each side and the glass will lift out.

ejholt

Reaction score
When the track breaks like that, it is done. It isn't surprising that it won't close now as it is *****. Yes you take out the 3 screws each side and the glass will lift out.
Can I still do the repair and remove the glass in it's current position without having to take it to the dealer? Assuming I follow the videos posted in this thread. Trying to gauge if it has reached the point that this must be taken to the dealer for repairs. Thank You!

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
So the real question for us Gen 2 guys is, once the plastic parts break and they are replaced, has anyone had them break again? Will this be a recurring issue? I've only read of people having it break once but maybe that's not the case.

BTW, mine broke and I was able to fix it myself buying the parts through sunroof doctor.
Great to hear. Since you’re new to FRF and probably don’t realize yet, many like I, are lazy as Fuxk, can you post your order from the Roof Doc please? Thank you in advance for helping with my lack of motivation and limited internet skills;)

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can I still do the repair and remove the glass in it's current position without having to take it to the dealer? Assuming I follow the videos posted in this thread. Trying to gauge if it has reached the point that this must be taken to the dealer for repairs. Thank You!
You need new tracks, do you have them? They are around $150 or so and no, you don't need to go to the dealer, they will charge you like $2k to fix it when it really only takes an hour.

I have a thread with detailed videos and commentary on how to fix this issue the easy way :)

ejholt

Reaction score
You need new tracks, do you have them? They are around $150 or so and no, you don't need to go to the dealer, they will charge you like $2k to fix it when it really only takes an hour.

I have a thread with detailed videos and commentary on how to fix this issue the easy way :)

Thank You for the reply, much appreciated! Yes - I have ordered the tracks and waiting for them to be delivered and was going to do the installation myself. I've watched this video a few times and others like it. Thank You again for the reply, much appreciated!!