Sunroof broke this morning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You know I have started to leave my front shade open and it seems to let the heat escape better and it doesn't sit within the sunroof frame.

--- Just an idea

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I still had creaking and rattling in my sunroof. Probably started 8-9 months after owning the truck from new. If there’s cabin noise, I will hear it and it drives me nuts. I know crank up the radio. But I know it’s there. I had already performed maintenance recently with silicone grease around the seals and the tracks, etc. no luck the roof was still a rattle box.

Some 3in1 oil with PTFE was suggested and I should just soak my seals with it. When it came to the back seal on the fixed piece of pano roofing, you cannot easily access the whole seal. So I soaked it from the top and let it seep in. The truck sat over night. Days after the pano roof was totally silent!!! Still weeks after the roof does not creak and rattle. Amazing just soaking the seal and whatever else penetrated below remedied it. I’m guessing the seal over time sticks to the roof and torsional movement of the cab tweaks the roof panel, causing the creaking sound.

RLB18

Reaction score
So the real question for us Gen 2 guys is, once the plastic parts break and they are replaced, has anyone had them break again? Will this be a recurring issue? I've only read of people having it break once but maybe that's not the case.

BTW, mine broke and I was able to fix it myself buying the parts through sunroof doctor.

OP
OP
Donmatteo

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So the real question for us Gen 2 guys is, once the plastic parts break and they are replaced, has anyone had them break again? Will this be a recurring issue? I've only read of people having it break once but maybe that's not the case.

BTW, mine broke and I was able to fix it myself buying the parts through sunroof doctor.
Mine only broke the one time noted in this thread. It seems to be related to lubrication of the parts and cycling the roof. I sold that truck and bought a 2022 Tremor with the roof and that was the first think I did check.

Gatica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was 1x deal also. I do try to open it at least once a week. Made sure to order the new truck without sunroof if it ever gets here.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This happened on my Gen 1 and I learned a lot while owning it. I have some silicone gel that I use to lube the seal and clean the glass with some quality glass cleaner. I then use a commercial high pressure highly adhesive lubricant to lube up the plastic sliding parts. I do this once every season change, once in the fall/ winter and once in the spring/ summer. The plastic parts tend to break when the seal drys out the sunroof sticks. This causes the plastic parts to snap and break. It is not a cheap fix and I wish Ford would use better parts in their sunroof packages.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This happened on my Gen 1 and I learned a lot while owning it. I have some silicone gel that I use to lube the seal and clean the glass with some quality glass cleaner. I then use a commercial high pressure highly adhesive lubricant to lube up the plastic sliding parts. I do this once every season change, once in the fall/ winter and once in the spring/ summer. The plastic parts tend to break when the seal drys out the sunroof sticks. This causes the plastic parts to snap and break. It is not a cheap fix and I wish Ford would use better parts in their sunroof packages.
If the ROP is stuck closed for any reason, the last thing you want is for the glass panel to be the weakest link. The brackets give out before the glass does. If the ROP is properly maintained/lubricated, it’s a non-issue.

Noplacelikeloam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to add some in the field experience on warranty here. My 18 SCREW is under ESP and dealer confirmed moonroof track is covered under warranty. Requires additional approval as its over $1.3K but all good. As others have said, that ESP is worth it!