Suggestions on ways to increase performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vince7870

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front and rear 4.88 gears are a fun upgrade too.

What would these gears do and how would affect the truck? Down low grunt? Will it kill top? Or the other way around?

Sorry if that's a dumb question....I'm new to upgrading stuff and this is my 1st upgradeable/toy vehicle.

I already did cai tune by jdm and ford racing catback. I'm looking for more but I live in ny Long Island and still gotta pass inspection. Only headers I could put on would be kooks new greens and that's 3400 installed for 30hp. Doesn't financially seem worth it. 10k for whipple installed is still a little out of my desired budget. So I am looking for more reasonable cost/benefits ratio to get some more zip out of this big beast!

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What would these gears do and how would affect the truck? Down low grunt? Will it kill top? Or the other way around?

Sorry if that's a dumb question....I'm new to upgrading stuff and this is my 1st upgradeable/toy vehicle.

I already did cai tune by jdm and ford racing catback. I'm looking for more but I live in ny Long Island and still gotta pass inspection. Only headers I could put on would be kooks new greens and that's 3400 installed for 30hp. Doesn't financially seem worth it. 10k for whipple installed is still a little out of my desired budget. So I am looking for more reasonable cost/benefits ratio to get some more zip out of this big beast!

Since the truck is limited top end speed by tires and driveshaft. It allows you to use the engines power effectively.. Stock gearing puts you at 100mph cut off around the beginning 4th gear. By changing the gears it moves the cutoff speed 5/6th gear.. Giving you a lot more down low grunt off the line. Makes the 3 ton beast jump off the line and makes the truck quicker to 100mph..

-Greg (aka squatting dog)