Stealth Black Raptor R initial thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

Rezttu

Reaction score
Curious when you say 'sluggish' do you find the 37 V6 has more pep in the low range or are you just saying you expected more out of R throughout entire range?
Stock EB was a little peppier than stock R, but like the prior comments, if you’re into the throttle >40% R never runs out of power

OP
OP
R

Rezttu

Reaction score
Oh I could use more pics of this beauty. #blacktrucksmatter #blackRaptorsmatter
I’m doing a similar set up with mine. Did you wrap the bumper and flares as well or did those just end up working out so well? Also your points are the reason I didn’t stretch for the R. 1. It’s not money smart at these prices at all lol 2. I’ll just do the goosetune set up on mine and hope that it’s enough for me lol. I’m sure it will be. But truck looks good man. love the stealth look on these trucks
The flares yes, the bumpers no, I thought about paint matching before wrapping the flares but they turned out good without paint. I love the stealth

OP
OP
R

Rezttu

Reaction score
So, I've got a 2019 with an MPT tune along with the R and I know exactly what you guys are talking about. Nothing crazy aggressive. Just their standard tune for a Gen2. I describe the tuned Gen2 as a hyena on steroids and the R as a lion. It's the aftermarket tuning that makes the gen2 so peppy. My wife doesn't like to drive the Gen2 bc when you touch the throttle it jumps. Before I put a tune on it, it felt like my previous F150 platinum. BUT, even though the baby Rap has more pep, it will never catch the R bc the power just keeps going in it.
When I test drove a TRX, it felt very similar. I wasn't all that impressed after driving my tuned G2. If you read on the TRX forums, you'll see a lot of those guys putting pedal monsters or pedal commanders on and thats what I did to the R. It takes the sluggish right out of it. The engine makes plenty of power, its just the pep that is disappointing. You can make the R jump as hard as you want with a pedal monster, just like your tuned Gen2. The difference is you almost can't find where the power runs out on the R. That thing just keeps pulling until you turn chicken and let off.
$200 and it doesn't void your warranty like a tune would.
I need to look into this, I’ve never done it

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I've got a 2019 with an MPT tune along with the R and I know exactly what you guys are talking about. Nothing crazy aggressive. Just their standard tune for a Gen2. I describe the tuned Gen2 as a hyena on steroids and the R as a lion. It's the aftermarket tuning that makes the gen2 so peppy. My wife doesn't like to drive the Gen2 bc when you touch the throttle it jumps. Before I put a tune on it, it felt like my previous F150 platinum. BUT, even though the baby Rap has more pep, it will never catch the R bc the power just keeps going in it.
When I test drove a TRX, it felt very similar. I wasn't all that impressed after driving my tuned G2. If you read on the TRX forums, you'll see a lot of those guys putting pedal monsters or pedal commanders on and thats what I did to the R. It takes the sluggish right out of it. The engine makes plenty of power, its just the pep that is disappointing. You can make the R jump as hard as you want with a pedal monster, just like your tuned Gen2. The difference is you almost can't find where the power runs out on the R. That thing just keeps pulling until you turn chicken and let off.
$200 and it doesn't void your warranty like a tune would.
I agree with you 100%

I had a 2019 Raptor with a stage 2 Goosetune and TCM tune that ran like a ***** ape.
I switched to a new TRX and was extremely disappointed in the sluggish feel, until I put a Banks pedal monster in it. The TRX just keeps pulling all the way to red line, unlike the EB that would die off thanks to the small turbos at high RPM’s.

I imagine the R and TRX have a very similar powerband.

Dellis777

Reaction score
They don't seem to make a Pedal Monster for the R but I do see a pedal commander.

TheButcher

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
@Rezttu as others have mentioned maybe look into a Pedal Commander or similar. That tends to help quite a bit. Also, Sport mode tends to make it a little peppier, but with holding shifts longer, normal driving MPG will go down. That obviously works against the MPG problem you are already experiencing.

I feel ya' with the MPG issue. My daily is an F450 with 85 gallons of fuel between the stock tank and the bed mounted one I installed, and it's really nice to only fill up every few weeks when I'm just doing normal driving around town. The Raptor R and TRX seem to get pretty thirsty, and do indeed require more wasted time at the gas station.

Your truck looks great. Any changes to the handling/ride after installing the RPG collars?