Squatting Dog racing to set EV coast to coast world record

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Might be a silly question but couldn't you run the Raptor out front? You will have the detectors etc. Would the Tesla get any better range if it drafted behind the Raptor?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are no silly questions..

Yes and no...

Yes, from laser/radar detection point of view...

No, the Tesla has such a low coefficient of drag, that it would hurt it aerodynamics by drafting a Raptor. The reason is because the Raptor sits up so high with a very dirty (lot of crap hanging down, shocks, axle) air flow under it.

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I didn't figure drafting would work. The pre running to find leo Smokey and the Bandit style seemed to make sense.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

jolsen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're a friggin' rock star mcman

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 AM ----------

Just wondering, can you change the Tesla battery in less than 30 minutes or is it even possible ? Are you allowed more than one battery?

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't know if you can run an extra battery but you would be trading weight for more charge. I think you would get more efficiency between charges keeping the stock battery's and shedding aside weight as possible that's why they have the raptor to cart everything in there and keep the tesla as light as possible

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The biggest issue I am running into right now is the charging connector and charging protocols..

If you are not familiar with the EV world I will give you a little history...

Right now there are two industry standards SAEj1772 and CHAdeMO charging connectors.. No one has agreed on one universal type so there is an beta verses vhs battle going on. Then Tesla being a maverick, they said screw the industry standards we will make our own connector and charging protocols just for our car.. Which is good letting the bigger companies fight over a universal standard and bring their product to market (kind of like Apple).
By doing this they have forced owners to only use their proprietary chargers and software (again like Apple Ipads). Which is good except they haven't built all the free Tesla supercharger stations across the country.. Only focusing one the West coast and 4 on East coast. Leaving their customers relying on slow (6+hour) charging stations.

We have a DC generator/charger that can be truck mounted and charge the Tesla battery in 30 minutes. We currently have no way of connecting it to the Tesla.. I could make an adapter to make it work, the other issue is the charging protocols which allows the charger to communicate to the Tesla and charge the battery. Such a "simple" little thing is the ONLY thing holding us back..

Right now Tesla does not want to assist in making this happen. The reason is to them we are jailbreaking their car to allow third party charger to work.. We all know how Apple felt about jailbreaking their products.. Even though it would benefit them as a company with the exposure of this cross country attempt.

We have not given up.. Technically it is possible for this to happen right now! Until we can get some assistance from Tesla. This attempt might be over before we get to the starting line..

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow! That's interesting that tesla is hoarding info in their charging. Like you said Greg you would think they would want this publicity and exposure! And it's not
Like they're getting paid every time you charge the car.. To me it's just asinine to not help out. Well Greg if anyone can figure it out its you! And I really hope tesla comes around and actually helps! Good luck buddy!

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good luck Greg!

Is WSI sponsoring your grounding rod??? Lol...

I'm sure there are some sparky engineerds on here that could help design what you need. A real challenge for sure.

Also, you almost need another support vehicle for the raptor, do they can run for gas and diesel.

Yukon Joe
GLRE Support Raptor
WWW.RUNRAPTORRUN.COM

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good luck Greg!

Is WSI sponsoring your grounding rod??? Lol...

I'm sure there are some sparky engineerds on here that could help design what you need. A real challenge for sure.

Also, you almost need another support vehicle for the raptor, do they can run for gas and diesel.

Yukon Joe
GLRE Support Raptor
WWW.RUNRAPTORRUN.COM

That has been discussed.. Having two identically prepped Raptors. This way they can leap frog charging stops.. This way they can be fully fueled and waiting for the Tesla and become chase while the other Raptor goes to next stop...

Until we work out charging issues, it is pointless outfitting two Raptors. You know me I like redundancies, and two Raptors is the way to go...