Spare Tire Life?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdholder

Reaction score
Wondering how long a spare tire will last before it rots/dries out under our Raptors? It’s not getting sunlight, but it’s getting heat from the exhaust.

Wondering because I want to sell my OE BFG 35 inch K02 but don’t want to sell it if it’s unsafe. It’s been under the truck since 2017 (so 5 years)

What’s the general consensus?

Thanks!

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wondering how long a spare tire will last before it rots/dries out under our Raptors? It’s not getting sunlight, but it’s getting heat from the exhaust.

Wondering because I want to sell my OE BFG 35 inch K02 but don’t want to sell it if it’s unsafe. It’s been under the truck since 2017 (so 5 years)

What’s the general consensus?

Thanks!
Six years is when you should replace your tires, worn out or not.

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, the OE tires are only 6 ply and light compared to typical 10 ply off road, I kept my spare for my jeep so I could have an extra spare to get me outta the woods....and it is almost 20 pounds lighter than 10 ply, so less weight on tire carrier.

raptor556

Reaction score
7-10 years

Fact is most people never change their spare

The only thing you owe to a buyer is to tell them how much use it's had and how old it is. They can put on their big boy pants and determine if it's a good purchase after that.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could also do a 5-tire rotation (or ask whoever does your rotations to do it) as long as you're following the same pattern each time. Keeps the spare from aging under there, gives you a chance to verify the tire winch is working correctly (you don't want to find out it's rusted in place when you need the spare) and you can eyeball each tire for cuts, uneven wear or other issues.. You need to buy a TPMS sensor for it, Ford doesn't put one in there, but the monitoring system will re-learn and acquire it as you drive. Since a rotation is 'recommended' with each oil change no one tire will spend an excessive amount of time up there. This assumes you're on all-standard rims of course. If you have 4 aftermarket rims and the spare as just that, a spare, on a Ford rim this obviously won't be feasible.