GEN 1 Spare key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried making a spare key just to unlock the doors? I tried to have one made at Home Depot but they wouldn’t do it because of the chip inside. I was thinking of trying one of the donut yourself machines that are in some stores. Anyone able to get just a normal key that you can tape to your bumper or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deckmaster

Reaction score
Had a couple made from blanks that didn't have the correct chip. They opened the door fine but triggered the alarm. Had to put the correct key in to stop it from going off.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

MEIRONMAN207

¿Goin somewhere...What are RU waiting 4?
Reaction score
Same here. I even got one on EBay that claimed they are programmed BS! I had a locksmith cut and tried to program the key and he couldn’t get it to turn on the truck and also it threw the alarm etc. This took over two hours of flashing the key etc., with his mobile software programming equipment and laptop. He finally gave up. Told me to come back and try in the the shop with an older programmer etc. Bingo! The problem was the new blank key from eBay, has an aftermarket clone chip and the Raptor was not reading it. So he swapped a Ford chip from his stock genuine Ford replacement keys (cost me another $15), worked right away.

Just passing on my experience for others. Wish I had this knowledge prior. Would’ve not wasted my time and money buying a clone key on eBay!

4x4juunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the 2011-2014 keys working to replace the 2010 key and external fob?
I hate the extra fob.

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried making a spare key just to unlock the doors? I tried to have one made at Home Depot but they wouldn’t do it because of the chip inside. I was thinking of trying one of the donut yourself machines that are in some stores. Anyone able to get just a normal key that you can tape to your bumper or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just went through this when my unlock button on my key quit working. I bought one from Amazon, of course they sent me the wrong key (3button), but did correct it and sent me the 4 button key I ordered. My Ford quick lane cut it for me for free. The programming was kind of easy, but you must have both original keys to do it the way I did it. To program the chip, insert first original key, start truck and after a couple of seconds, shut off and insert second original key and start the truck again, wait two seconds shut off the truck and insert the new key and start it. If it has a good chip it should start it every time. To program the buttons take an original key and cycle the ignition 8 times on and off until the door locks cycle, push the lock button on the original then within a few seconds push the lock & unlock button on the new key and that was it. I found it on YouTube. Mines a 2012, but it is supposed to work on all Gen 1’s. I’m only out $40, and it has been working great for weeks now.