Software Updates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had my 22 in at the dealership for shock replacement for clunking and had them install my Eibach 1" leveling springs. I asked if they could do the APIM update to give me full screen Apple Car Play. The service advisor said not a problem. Well when I picked up the truck I was told the Tech who worked my truck (Who also has a 21) said I have the Sync 4 system and at this time there are no available updates I am on the latest update. So I am confused how some guys with 22 have been able to get the update for full screen.
You are likely on the latest version that has been pushed out to your truck over the air by Ford. But there is still module updates likely available in FDRS. The dealer has no obligation to update those modules but some usually do, it is a tough process especially if certain parameters aren’t meant like battery state of charge or internet issues downloading them. You can DIY and people have gotten far more success in keeping all modules updated (not just APIM), or just wait and it will eventually come OTA.

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep clicking to check for updates every time I get in the truck now, on wifi, want that full screen carplay/AA. Lol. Still 3.5.2 for me, not willing to dive $600 into FDRS yet. Hopefully it will come in the next couple months.
It has been a slow roll out OTA and was paused for a bit (3.5.3). Checking for updates on that screen does nothing (long explanation), the only way to see updates available is through FDRS. And to make this process even more confusing, Ford has only been pushing OTA over cellular not WiFi.

GEN3LV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will just wait until it finally catches up my system has been updating OTA so I guess it's just a matter of time. Don't want to screw something up trying to do it my self.

STiago1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FDRS always have updates for various modules when ever it becomes available, as techs we can also check vehicle health and dtc info remotely which owners wont see. If some modules behave erratically then that module probably needs a sw update. For eg. Sometimes the lights wont turn off after shutting the vehicle and locking it setting a bcm code for lighting module, this can be a one time occurence but a bcm update will sort it out. FDRS takes a lot of time downloading and installing updates but much faster than OTA updates which cuts out when the bcm see the battery voltage going down while updates are happening. Yes we dont update modules unless it become part of the repair.

cdiddy4224

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has been a slow roll out OTA and was paused for a bit (3.5.3). Checking for updates on that screen does nothing (long explanation), the only way to see updates available is through FDRS. And to make this process even more confusing, Ford has only been pushing OTA over cellular not WiFi.
Over cellular? You sure about that? Thats a large update to push over cellular and if you have automatic updates on and set for the middle of the night, most trucks aren’t connected to cellular. Do you have to enable the free trial version for the cellular capability?

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over cellular? You sure about that? Thats a large update to push over cellular and if you have automatic updates on and set for the middle of the night, most trucks aren’t connected to cellular. Do you have to enable the free trial version for the cellular capability?
Yes, discussed quite a bit on the Gen 14 forums OTA section. Doesn't matter if you are connected to wifi or not, it will use the cellular connection. Similar to how your Fordpass app works and can start your truck (even nowhere near wifi) - it always has a cellular connection. Ford charges for features such as using it as a hotspot and now Alexa I hear, but it always has a connection to AT&T unless you rip your modem out. Pretty much speculation why they aren't utilizing wifi for OTA, but some think that's why updates roll out so slow to a select number of trucks at once.

I have never hooked up my truck to wifi and I have gotten regular updates.

cdiddy4224

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, discussed quite a bit on the Gen 14 forums OTA section. Doesn't matter if you are connected to wifi or not, it will use the cellular connection. Similar to how your Fordpass app works and can start your truck (even nowhere near wifi) - it always has a cellular connection. Ford charges for features such as using it as a hotspot and now Alexa I hear, but it always has a connection to AT&T unless you rip your modem out. Pretty much speculation why they aren't utilizing wifi for OTA, but some think that's why updates roll out so slow to a select number of trucks at once.

I have never hooked up my truck to wifi and I have gotten regular updates.
Interesting info, thanks!

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How were your update setting configured? I’m questioning if I have my truck set up in a way that this will happen. I don’t lock it at night and have specified overnight hours it can run updates.
However it came from ford. I have it connected to my Wifi at the house but I didn’t noticed anything when I left, only after FordPass alerted me that it was updated. Now one thing I noticed when I got back in the truck after the update was you have to select full screen.

Attachments

• 5CB457C3-74CD-4321-B987-7957A973F4B4.jpeg
    5CB457C3-74CD-4321-B987-7957A973F4B4.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 9