Single vs dual enclosure (10w3, fox accoustics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kurfer

Reaction score
I have a Kicker ZX750.1 amp left over from my old truck I used to power two slim kicker 10" subs.

After looking at these Fox acoustic boxes, it appears I can fit a full size sub in them.

Now the debate, I think for the first time in my life i'm going to go with a ported version instead of sealed and my mind is set on JL Audio.

Would there be a major difference between going with a single vs dual sub configuration? Since the 10w3 supports 500 RMS power I am most likely going to have to configure it for 4 ohm since the kicker amp is rated at 450.1 at 4 ohms vs 750.1 at 2 ohm.

Or I can go with 2 ohm overall load if I use two woofers generating almost twice the power. I doubt it would be twice as loud going with 2 woofers, but I am really not sure since i've never had a 1 sub setup before.

Any thoughts? I prefer the single because of weight savings and the fact it doesn't extend the width of both seats making easy for me to mount my amp under the rear passenger side seat.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the 10w3 can handle up to 500 watts, but the optimum power is 300 watts rms. they also come in 2 or 4 ohm so you can decide how to set it up. a ported box inside the cab needs to be built carefully. just because the port is the right area and length, doesnt mean it will work. you run the risk of port noise. example. lets say you need a port with 12 sq inches of area.if you made a hole that was 3x4 inches you would have the area required. well if you did a port that was 1x12inches you still have 12 sq inches of area, but because of the shape the 1x12 port will give you port noise. otherwise you can go for a sealed box. they are better for sound quality as well

OP
OP
Kurfer

Kurfer

Reaction score
the 10w3 can handle up to 500 watts, but the optimum power is 300 watts rms. they also come in 2 or 4 ohm so you can decide how to set it up. a ported box inside the cab needs to be built carefully. just because the port is the right area and length, doesnt mean it will work. you run the risk of port noise. example. lets say you need a port with 12 sq inches of area.if you made a hole that was 3x4 inches you would have the area required. well if you did a port that was 1x12inches you still have 12 sq inches of area, but because of the shape the 1x12 port will give you port noise. otherwise you can go for a sealed box. they are better for sound quality as well

Care to offer some options via this thread or pm? I would rather not go back to slim subs, I had some kicker slim subs and didn't enjoy them at all.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a 10in woofer will fit under the seat and not stick out. a 12" woofer might stick out an inch or so from the seat. i do know that a jl w3 will not fit under there. that was the first thing i tried. what kind of sound are you looking to get?