Simple Question about Gas Type

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are several threads that address this. The engine makes more power on premium (tested) and more mileage (tested) although maybe not quite enough to pay for the premium, it helps. Also premium supposedly has more cleaning agents in it. Feed your expensive truck the right way, and it will reward you with better mileage and more power.

SRPRACING

Reaction score
You also need to think. Twin turbocharged 10:1 compression engine. It’s always better to run 91+ but nothing wrong with 87. As long as it’s Top Tier.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Car & Driver published an article on 87 vs. 93 octane in the 3.5 HO. It tells you everything you need to know; we're not talking a couple horsepower here.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a28565486/honda-cr-v-vs-bmw-m5-ford-f-150-dodge-charger/

"At 128.7 horsepower per liter, the F-150's high-output V-6 engine is more power dense than a Porsche 911 Carrera's twin-turbo flat-six. Naturally then, the Ford hauls ass as effortlessly as it hauls a half-ton of manure. When fed 93 octane, this 5594-pound, self-propelled wheelbarrow will crash 60 mph in 5.3 seconds. Power at the wheels dropped from 380 to 360 horsepower with the change from 93 to 87 octane. That difference seemed to grow, and we could even feel it from the driver's seat at the test track. Compared with premium fuel, regular feed sapped the F-150's urgency both leaving the line and in the meat of the tach sweep. The rush to 60 mph softened to a still-blistering 5.9 seconds, and the quarter-mile stretched from 14.0 to 14.5 seconds, with trap speed falling 4 mph. Tapped into the Ford's CAN bus, we recorded a peak boost pressure roughly 1.9 psi lower during acceleration runs on regular gas, down more than 10 percent compared with the 18.1-psi peak on premium. The high-octane gas also helped when soft-pedaling the accelerator, elevating 75-mph fuel economy from 17.0 to 17.6 mpg."

OP
OP
MusicWithMarky
Reaction score
87 is simply the minimum octane requirement for all F-150 gasoline engines; the owners manual is not model specific. The 3.5 HO horsepower and torque ratings were obtained on premium fuel. 91+ octane is recommended:

“For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer.”

Thanks, appreciate that.

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think if you are trying to save a few cents on gas you probably should not have a Raptor. ALWAYS use premium

I'm not arguing and I plan on running premium, but it's more than pennies for me. Premium is 18% more expensive where I filled my car yesterday, so driving 20K miles per year at $2.39 for regular (17.0 mpg) and $2.82 for premium (17.6 mpg) the difference calculates to $392 annually. I plan on filling at Costco (top tier) whenever possible, the price difference from regular to premium is less there. Unfortunately there is no Costco in my town, so there will be many fillups at other stations especially with the thimble size tank in the Scab I ordered.

Octane is basically the burn rate of the fuel. On regular the engine's knock sensor will retard timing to reduce detonation which is why there is a power and mileage decrease, but I can't see it causing any harm.

Diesel71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not arguing and I plan on running premium, but it's more than pennies for me. Premium is 18% more expensive where I filled my car yesterday, so driving 20K miles per year at $2.39 for regular (17.0 mpg) and $2.82 for premium (17.6 mpg) the difference calculates to $392 annually. I plan on filling at Costco (top tier) whenever possible, the price difference from regular to premium is less there. Unfortunately there is no Costco in my town, so there will be many fillups at other stations especially with the thimble size tank in the Scab I ordered.

Octane is basically the burn rate of the fuel. On regular the engine's knock sensor will retard timing to reduce detonation which is why there is a power and mileage decrease, but I can't see it causing any harm.

You are (roughly) in my neck of the woods. Maverick pricing is very reasonable and close to Costco. Or you can always fill up down here in Prescott at our Costco :)

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are (roughly) in my neck of the woods. Maverick pricing is very reasonable and close to Costco. Or you can always fill up down here in Prescott at our Costco :)

I like your Costco, it's one of very few Costco's that has diesel. Currently my entire fleet is diesel except my Bronco. I like Mavriks well enough, they add a winter additive to their diesel, but I don't think they are top tier?

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really dont have a choice,seeing that I have the Shelby/Whipple SC and they even put a sticker inside tank door...91+ ONLY...
So when I first got my Raptor was using ARCO 91 (I know...Arco...dont bitch me out)....About 6-8 months ago I started using the SHELL NITRO...never thought I'd see a difference,but with the Nitro it clearly runs better and faster....and I do see better MPG..not much maybe 1 mpg... which is not why I switched..more for the Performance....
So not only should you use Super....but use a good brand.....its a $70K truck....feed it good... :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter