Simple Question about Gas Type

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
In my last car I had to put super in or it would knock/ping. I've got the 2020 Raptor with the 3.5 twin turbo now and wondering if it's cool to go back to regular or if higher octane is still required?

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In my last car I had to put super in or it would knock/ping. I've got the 2020 Raptor with the 3.5 twin turbo now and wondering if it's cool to go back to regular or if higher octane is still required?

So, you want to know if your twin turbo, high output, Ford Performance engine needs high octane fuel?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It shouldn't ping on regular, but performance and mileage will be better on premium. Did you really pay $70k for a gas guzzler to then start worrying about a few pennies per gallon for fuel?

OP
OP
MusicWithMarky
Reaction score
It shouldn't ping on regular, but performance and mileage will be better on premium. Did you really pay $70k for a gas guzzler to then start worrying about a few pennies per gallon for fuel?

No, but there is this misconception that a motor actually does better with higher octane gas and it's really based on compression ratio. I had to go grab the manual and see, which I should have done first rather than the post I suppose.
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0210-paying-premium-high-octane-gasoline

And I didn't get to the point where I could afford a vehicle of this type by being unnecessarily profligate.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Huh, mine says 87 octane. I should have checked the manual before posting but I was being a hump and not wanting to run to the truck in the rain. =]

Read it again.

I believe it says it WILL run on 87, but to get the most performance, you need to run high octane.

Unless its your usual mall crawler, then 87 away bro

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Huh, mine says 87 octane. I should have checked the manual before posting but I was being a hump and not wanting to run to the truck in the rain. =]

87 is simply the minimum octane requirement for all F-150 gasoline engines; the owners manual is not model specific. The 3.5 HO horsepower and torque ratings were obtained on premium fuel. 91+ octane is recommended:

“For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer.”

Last edited: