Should Hub and Axles Spin in 2WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turbogoat324

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity I was working on my truck today and When I had the front up in the air with the engine running in 2wd when I spun the front wheel the cv shafts spun as well as the cv shaft and hub on the other side. It was my understanding that the point of the IWE ring was to disconnect the hubs and cv shafts so the cv shaft/diff wouldn’t spin in 2wd. Is this normal? Or do I possible have something that failed? Thanks!

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity I was working on my truck today and When I had the front up in the air with the engine running in 2wd when I spun the front wheel the cv shafts spun as well as the cv shaft and hub on the other side. It was my understanding that the point of the IWE ring was to disconnect the hubs and cv shafts so the cv shaft/diff wouldn’t spin in 2wd. Is this normal? Or do I possible have something that failed? Thanks!

yup normal....the 4A transfer case is the reason, don’t know all the fancy stuff but parasitic drag was what I was told

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
May want to check vacuum but there will be movement as mentioned above. Never hurts to check though.

OP
OP
Turbogoat324

Turbogoat324

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May want to check vacuum but there will be movement as mentioned above. Never hurts to check though.

thank you guys! I Checked this morning and the vacuum lines feel like they have no vacuum or very very little so maybe the solenoid has failed. I figure I should be able to feel at least something placing my finger over the hose on either side.

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you guys! I Checked this morning and the vacuum lines feel like they have no vacuum or very very little so maybe the solenoid has failed. I figure I should be able to feel at least something placing my finger over the hose on either side.

when driving in 2h do you hear any grinding noises? If so put it in 4A and if noises go away then you have an issue to start diagnosing...I’m sure your your raptor is working as intended

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

What year is the truck? 2019+ models have a new TCCM strategy that keeps the IWEs engaged on initial start. The IWEs will remain engaged for up to 2 miles (temperature dependent) in order to ensure sufficient vacuum is available to property operate the system.

The TSB for IWE noise on 2013-2018 models also includes the same TCCM strategy update.

OP
OP
Turbogoat324

Turbogoat324

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017. But I should feel a decently strong vacuum when removing the IWE line correct? Or is it pretty weak?

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Without the truck running, the vacuum isn’t being pulled and the IWE is engaged by default.

That’s why everything spins when you have it in the air

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Turbogoat324

Turbogoat324

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without the truck running, the vacuum isn’t being pulled and the IWE is engaged by default.

That’s why everything spins when you have it in the air

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oh I realize that. I had the engine running when I was trying it.

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pretty easy.
if the truck is running and in 2wd vacuum is applied.
in 4wd, no vaccum.

if it's off then theres no vaccum applied.

if it's working halfway, the grinding will be obvious.
If it's not at all, you will obviously be in 4wd when you set it for 2wd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc