Securing spare tire with Y strap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the rear dovetailed so I needed a way to carry my spare tire in the bed. I do have a chase rack coming from LEX but I still needed something for daily use. During the winter we make trips up to Tahoe and I need to use my bakflip to protect our gear from the elements.

The Trailer bed bolt is removable and sits pretty flush with the bed. It comes with a separate cap that plugs the whole as well. The dodge d rings fold flat as well. So far it's worked great over about 400 offroad miles.

Parts:
Mopar 05104500AA RING-RETAINERS

ProGrip 822820 1/2" Removable Trailer Bed Bolt with 2" Shank - Pair : Amazon.com : Automotive

Race Ready > Speedstrap Spare Tire Ratchet Straps

null_zpsd444aab7.jpg

null_zps9cd63127.jpg

Since my rack wasn't here yet in time for last weeks Carson run I threw both spares in the bed. I wouldn't recommend doing this on a regular basis as the bed middle bed bolt will take a beating from the increased levarage of the 2 spares.

null_zpsee8ca383.jpg

Last edited:

BobCajun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious why you went with the bed bolt and not a 3rd D-ring? Raptor arrives in a couple of weeks and trying to plan a similar solution ahead of time.

amphibian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a link or part# for those D-rings on the bed bolts? Those look like exactly what I need.

Edit: Duh, nevermind I see it now. Just missed it because it didn't jump out and hit me in the face.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Curious why you went with the bed bolt and not a 3rd D-ring? Raptor arrives in a couple of weeks and trying to plan a similar solution ahead of time.

D ring would work. I already had the the bed bolt so I used it. You'd just have to get a washer, bolt, and nut.

I'd also like to mention that the washers on the existing truck bed bolts will have trouble clearing the collar of the bed bolts. The wholes are just a little to small. You just need to get a large socket and place it Over the bed bolt. Then hammer down on the washer. It will eventually clear the collar. Then place the d ring on the bolt and the washer at the bottom of the collar. Then begin ******** the bolt back into the bed. Eventually the pressure will get the washer over the collar and you're all good.

Last edited:

KKILLIAN

Reaction score
The Y straps work great. I have the same setup, but I made my own mounts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I saw a pic of your setup at one point which gave me the idea. I'm very happy with it and I like the "look" as well.

SvtDon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been up and down about my set up too due to bed cage. Doing this keeps it low profile and clean looking. Not to mention light! Think I'll be doing this too since I'm going another route.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been up and down about my set up too due to bed cage. Doing this keeps it low profile and clean looking. Not to mention light! Think I'll be doing this too since I'm going another route.

Right on. It should work well for you. The other option is the mount from tiregate but you have to drill 5 holes and one is pretty damn big.

I assume you're getting the 3.5's in the rear? I'm sure it's going to be a crazy setup.

SvtDon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Right on. It should work well for you. The other option is the mount from tiregate but you have to drill 5 holes and one is pretty damn big.

I assume you're getting the 3.5's in the rear? I'm sure it's going to be a crazy setup.

Already have it buddy. No tire gate. Don't like that much. Think the strap will keep it all clean!
aze4udap.jpg

Last edited: