Scab vs Screw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spencerh84

Reaction score
Love My SCab, 2017 w/ 40k miles on it. Fits perfectly in the garage. Love it off-road and roads trips w/ wife and dogs, we all have plenty of room. Have taken it on 1000+ mile road trips and with 3 people, it has just the right amount of space, 4 people is extremely uncomfortable after about 3 hrs.

As far a fuel tank, it is 26.5 or so. I have tracked every fill-up since purchase and consistently put in 23-24 gallons running it till about 20-30 miles DTE. Have put in 26.2 once but hate running the tank that low.

Anyone else have discrepancy with computer MPG vs real MPG? 14-17 MPG calculated at the pump (15.5 typical), while the computer shows 16-19 (usually 2 mpg overstated on the comp).

SS308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've owned both, and the one extremely annoying feature that no one has mentioned with the SCAB is, that you have to open the front door before anyone can get out from the rear or putting objects in the back. I will never go back to a SCAB.

LVsFINEST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone on the FB Raptor group made a post recently about their dealership low balling them on a sell or trade with their 18 or 19 SCAB. They were asking opinions and if the numbers were acceptable. Cant' recall the specifics but they were getting ***** yet basically everyone agreed he wasn't going to get any better with a SCAB.... That was the day I learned the diff on resale value between SCAB and SCREW. It's a real thing apparently.

raptorron717

Reaction score
HI
I HAVE A SCAB. I really like the shorter length especially when i am city driving or off roading. I use mine as a commuter and as truck on ranch and it works out well. If I need to haul anything larger than 6k, ill drive the old farm truck anyway. I had a hard time finding a SCAB. Finally got lucky and found one up in Maryland. Its a shame that just about every Raptor out there seems to be loaded to the gills with frills. I just wanted a base scab and it is serving me well. The scab is also faster that then screw due to the weight. Never had an issue with the 26 gallon tank either. It usually lasts me a week or so. Good luck, you won't be disappointed with either choice.

RC Blk Bird

Reaction score
It's a personal preference. I am on my second SCAB, personally I think they look better than a 4 door, and with the shorter wheel base perform better off-road. I had to order mine, as dealerships only order SCREWs since they are the best sellers to mainly family oriented buyers. Since I'm single it's not an issue and my two labs that I pack around once in awhile haven't voiced a preference yet.

Turbo95max

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive had 2 SuperCabs. Love the SuperCab. Lower fuel capacity is such a first world problem/complaint. Its never bothered me. I fill up once a week if I drive the Raptor, fill up once a week if I drive the RX-7, or any other car. Just means I'm paying more for gas to drive the truck. Being in the SF Bay area, garaging the truck was a must. SuperCab fits in my garage. As others have mentioned, better offroading, easier to park, easier U turns etc.

As for reasale value, I sold my 2013 Supercab with 55k miles for $36k earlier this year.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had an original 2010 6.2L SCAB, because I liked shorter look and it was the only kind available at the time! When I started shopping for a Gen 2, I found the same issue as others. The SCABs were very hard to come by and the few I found did not have options I wanted. Since it is just my wife and I, we felt we really did not need the extra space.

Man, was I wrong! Since getting the Gen 2 SCREW, it has been fantastic having the extra room behind the seats. You would be amazed what you can fit back there compare to the SCAB. Plus, it is way more comfortable for full-size people who ride back there occasionally.

To help offset the longer look of the SCREW, I went with Geisers, Deaver +3s and 37s which balances nicely with the longer cab. Now, it is so much bigger, you hardly notice the extra length. :cool:

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Planning on a raptor and can’t decide between the scab or screw. I really don’t need the extra space in the back as it’s just my wife and I. We are small people anyway so our seats are usually scooted up.

I think it looks better but am I missing out on anything by getting the scab?
Does it handle better than the screw?
Like you,its just me and the GF...no kids,so didnt need the extra room in back...and for the 5% of the time friends might come along,never had one complain about the room in back since they are happy just to be riding in a Raptor..LOL...
Personally I like the look of the shorter Scab,and its way easier to park if you have to go to the city areas...
Yes the Suicide doors take some getting use to,but have not had any problems with them...
My biggest complaint about the Scab is I see all these really cool full length lock boxes for your AR's,Valuables,etc that fit under the rear seat of the Screw,but NOT the Scab....No under seat storage,period....Jack takes up space under one seat....Sub-Woofer takes up space under other seat (in a 2014 anyway)...so all you have is a spot under the middle seat that might hold a lunchbox....
Bottom line...get what you like,can use and/or need....either way,its a Raptor,you wont go wrong.

SS308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like you,its just me and the GF...no kids,so didnt need the extra room in back...and for the 5% of the time friends might come along,never had one complain about the room in back since they are happy just to be riding in a Raptor..LOL...
Personally I like the look of the shorter Scab,and its way easier to park if you have to go to the city areas...
Yes the Suicide doors take some getting use to,but have not had any problems with them...
My biggest complaint about the Scab is I see all these really cool full length lock boxes for your AR's,Valuables,etc that fit under the rear seat of the Screw,but NOT the Scab....No under seat storage,period....Jack takes up space under one seat....Sub-Woofer takes up space under other seat (in a 2014 anyway)...so all you have is a spot under the middle seat that might hold a lunchbox....
Bottom line...get what you like,can use and/or need....either way,its a Raptor,you wont go wrong.

Couldn't have said it better...:cheers: