Scab vs Screw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flgator

Reaction score
Planning on a raptor and can’t decide between the scab or screw. I really don’t need the extra space in the back as it’s just my wife and I. We are small people anyway so our seats are usually scooted up.

I think it looks better but am I missing out on anything by getting the scab?
Does it handle better than the screw?

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't need the extra room in the back seat area either and prefer the look of the SCAB. The smaller gas tank of the SCAB is also an issue for some people, but I really don't need the larger tank either. The SCAB is also rated to tow 6K lbs and the SCREW 8K lbs. That is also a non-issue for me. I have an old F250 if I need to tow anything that heavy.

Kashoggio

Lives in a van down by the river.
Reaction score
Most people prefer super crew because of family space. Out of the 4 cars we have this get the most use as the family truckster. I also do feel it looks better than the scab.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For similar $$$ up front buying a SCAB all you’re accomplishing is giving up usable interior space (even if you don’t typically have passengers folding the seat up in a SCREW gives a nice big flat bottom area for large items you may not wanna put in bed), you’re giving up towing capacity, you’re giving up a ton of fuel capacity - like 30% less (& that’s @ 15-16mpg) & certainly pissing away resale value down the road right @ the start & don’t see any positives other than satisfying some aesthetic appeal if you truly think it looks better?

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Scab is better off road, better turning radius, and less likely to high center. I bought it for the off road ability and do not need the space in the back seat. However, I would agree, since only about 10% of production are Scabs, resale value may be lower down the road, as there may be less people that want it.

Gas tank is smaller, but I still get over 400 miles on a tank (or I could if I would let it get low) which for me is fine.

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel capacity for sure could mean something to you at 23 vs 36 gallons. Towing is low for both 6-8K is still less than most regular F150s. Resale will be lower bc MSRP is $3K less, but certainly not "pissing away."

Having driven both, scab handing is better as the truck is a foot shorter (especially off road). Some like the scab look better very subjective thing.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Planning on a raptor and can’t decide between the scab or screw. I really don’t need the extra space in the back as it’s just my wife and I. We are small people anyway so our seats are usually scooted up.

I think it looks better but am I missing out on anything by getting the scab?
Does it handle better than the screw?

Since it's only you and the mrs, you dont need a screw since the "family size" aspect of it is it's best attribute. From an off road truck standpoint, a scab is better in every way.

NHbeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The SCAB is easier to maneuver in parking lots. You will run over fewer curbs. Less likely to crease a rear fender when moving around objects. Ever use a parking garage in a SCREW size truck? SCAB is a better off roader. If you tow a lot you may want the SCREW, longer wheel base, larger gas tank, and haul more people. Kinda like a bus. ;-)

Wimankid

Reaction score
Suggest you drive each to see how you like both - include common places or maneuvers you will do, like getting in & out of your garage and other places.

I’m in the minority on this forum and on the road, I ordered a 2020 SCAB for my first Raptor. The extra foot of length on the SCREW made it more difficult to get in and out of my garage and I don’t need the people hauling or towing capacity of the SCREW.

As others here will say - either way you can’t go wrong, you have a Raptor!