Rust on 2013 Model...???!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cody2639

Reaction score
Its completely normal for cars to do this. Manufacturers use metals that have a sacrificial coating to save the important pieces from rusting.

OP
OP
GTC-NOVA

GTC-NOVA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The areas on the exhaust are the discoloration from the welding process.

I'll state the obvious, do not coat the exhaust with the undercoating.

Yukon Joe
Buffalo Run Support Raptor
RPG and WSI present The South Dakota Buffalo Run - FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor

So from the 5 pictures I posted, do not coat #4 and #5? What about the cables underneath? Shall I go on them too or try to mask?

As far as the exhaust, and even the muffler - there is a black coating spray that resists up to 3000 degrees. Would that be an option?

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you miss and hit a part you don't want to hit and its the muffler or other, it will just burn off from the heat. You will get a smell. You will have over spray no matter what you do.

I did my entire John Deere 4x4 Gator engine with it, no problems. The first 2 weeks you could smell the burn off of the Amsoil but its not that bad.

I did anything that looked like rust on my Raptor, while maintaining common sense, like Yukon said above.

Last edited:

Banned
Reaction score
You'll want to coat the exhaust with vegetable oil. It will keep it shiny for years.

:lol2:

jrodrg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^haha

I just bought rustoleum "undercoat" spray in black. Probably going to hit the rear diff and a few other spots. Then AMSOIL HDMP. You can't prevent rust, only slow it down.

lexmotorsports goodguy

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
hate to say, it's very common on alot of ford parts, I have seen it on brand new super dutys as well.. a little black paint fixes it, if done right from the start.

OP
OP
GTC-NOVA

GTC-NOVA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I got the AMSOIL and sprayed it underneath. It took about 2 1/2 cans. Seen here that others took about 5 cans for same job. I did take my time and did also the corners.

Question: How come others used 5 cans? Are you supposed to do it in several coats (dry then again), not only one good one?

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 cans? I am going to say you missed some spots. I was done with 2 cans right after I passed the front tires. With the Amoil being kinda clear and the job is on your back most of the time it is hard to tell where you been, better safe then sorry.

Its not like spray painting something with color you can see. I would go over it again, no one has used just 2 cans that I know of here.