running board lights.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f150corey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive had this idea for runing board lights seance i bought my truck. theres still a few things i have to do to these ones. like fill in the few blank holes because theres nothing good there to stick them too. and one has a loose connection and they all need to be taken off and stuck back on with 3m double stick tape.

but here we go

start off cutting them to length and soldering about 1' pieces of wire
null_zps86e39e36.jpg

null_zpsc149544b.jpg

i started out sticking them on with the crappy stuff they come with and well they all look like there about to fall off but once it gets to 70 again ill 3m tape them better.

null_zpsbd076d2d.jpg

then u skip a little ways to 3-4 hours later and there all wired up... not very pretty but they work... and im a plumber never got along with wires. lol its so not good looking that u dont get any pictures.

and here it is done. not real night time shots yet but u get the point here

null_zpsef3f4e34.jpg

null_zps825bca27.jpg

null_zps971170d3.jpg

next time i have a free day i might redo some of the wiring. and im deff going to fill in the blank spots witch wont be to hard little bit of epoxy and things and ittle be all set

but to sum it up. make sure u test all the strips before install. run wire neatly. dont use the supplied double stick tape. it sucks get the 3m automotive stuff. project took the better part of the day. just all the soldering was tedious and that jaz. i ran them to an uplifter switch because i want to be able to shut them off if the police thin there " underglow" or something like that.

oh and i thought this was funny as hell
null_zps0a5d134b.png

OP
OP
F

f150corey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Can you see the LEDs themselves or just the light they emit?

depends where u are. looking straight down or from behind just light. but from the front at one height u can see the strips but not enough for it to bother me.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Looks good, definitely original. This is somehting I might have to look into doing.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
resistors. maybe a 1500ohm to start, then add nore if you need. those leds already have resistors built in, so its a matter of finding the right impedence. too low and they wont turn on.