Roush Raptor Spun a Rod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jross993

Jross993

Reaction score
Yeah the shop that the truck is at now does a lot of ford engine rebuilds - mustangs, race motors etc... I was trying to save some money buying a ford long block but if they’re back ordered for a ridiculous amount of time then it’s not worth it to me. It will be 2 weeks with no update on lead time tomorrow.

If I build my block it’s definitely getting all the goodies to handle more hp!

Ford F-22

Reaction score
My 2013 stock Screw just took a shit on Friday at 72k miles. I'm hearing the same for lead times on long blocks from my local Ford dealer(s) on Long Island. Toying with nearly the exact same options as you are.

This thread has been really helpful! Keep me posted

OP
OP
Jross993

Jross993

Reaction score
My 2013 stock Screw just took a shit on Friday at 72k miles. I'm hearing the same for lead times on long blocks from my local Ford dealer(s) on Long Island. Toying with nearly the exact same options as you are.

This thread has been really helpful! Keep me posted

Damn sorry to hear! What happened? I guess we're the unlucky ones in this group. Yeah apparently there are no cores available to make the long blocks, that's what I was told.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They are all over car-part with low miles. The short block is the same as the superduty, so search for a superduty short block.

Raptor 2014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LKQ is re-manufacturing the engine. LKQ bought ATK who sells though Summit, Jegs ETC.. I check Summit but the engine is not a standard - high volume sell yet. There were a few teething problems but seam to be worked out. Stock bottom end should hold up to 10 - 12 LBS of boost for quite a while. Realize you are doing a supercharged application / not turbo so the drive belt will beat the SHT out of the Bearings. This happens with all crank driven systems. Do 100 pulls on a turbo motor and the bearing look good. Do a 100 pulls on a crank driven supercharged engine and the bearings look like SHT That is the nature of the beast.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unless your tension is way high, or something is loose you should not be cooking your main bearings with a blower. The crank still rides on the hydrodynamic oil wedge when running and should never be in contact with the bearings except at initial startup.

Bearings usually get hammered due to low oil (IE high G snownuts in an engine that is not baffled properly), by detonation, or by too much boost before the torque peak.

Raptor 2014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless your tension is way high, or something is loose you should not be cooking your main bearings with a blower. The crank still rides on the hydrodynamic oil wedge when running and should never be in contact with the bearings except at initial startup.

Bearings usually get hammered due to low oil (IE high G snownuts in an engine that is not baffled properly), by detonation, or by too much boost before the torque peak.

I agree 100% but why do the oil pump gears fail under supercharged applications. I have seen 3 take down engines that were supercharged and dyne pulled 50 to 100 times. Not a 6.2 Ford. The bearing did not look lets ay well. Similar setup with turbos good looking bearing.
My personal best guess is load on the drive pulley for the blower. If you watch dyno pulls - Can be found on line - The violent disengagement of the throttle from the supper charger transfers lot of load.
I am by no means an expert, just drawing conclusion from what experience I have.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's a good question. My assumption is that it's something to do with the harmonics. Coyotes do pop OPG in turbo applications, my soon to be turbocharged gen 2 got nothing but OPG because of this, and I expect to run it around 700hp. Maybe it has to do with the speed they RPM with boost, I have seen a few ideas about it.

Cody Dawson

Perfect Circle Engines
Reaction score
I have a good core engine and a good amount of parts to start with if anyone is looking for a quality build. Turnaround time would be about 12 weeks.

OP
OP
Jross993

Jross993

Reaction score
Update: my shop found a Ford long block, allegedly the last one in the country at the moment. I had to pay to get it shipped from the west coast but it’s gonna be here today. Just waiting on the headers and oil pump gears to come in and then it’s time to swap motors!