Rodents chewing through wiring harness?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy Stabler

Reaction score
Guys,

For the second time in 6 months something has chewed through my wiring harness, costing me thousands and weeks without my truck. Is this a known issue? Is Ford using soy based wiring like other companies? Everyone I know finds this unbelievable so there has to be something to it. No other cars in this same driveway have ever had an issue, and my truck has twice in 6 months. I got it January so it hasn't been here super long.
This is a known issue with several car manufacturers. Because of concerns over the use of fossil fuels, many car manufacturers have moved away from petroleum based wire insulation to a vegetable oil based wire insulation. It appears that rodents find the non petroleum based insulation of interest. I suspect that this was an unintended outcome from trying to satisfy the growing population of citizens and government people who feel that getting rid of petroleum based products is better for society.

McMillan

Reaction score
Down under there is such a bad problem with brown mongoose chewing wiring in cars, it cost the ins industry 30 billion a year {nat geo}, get a couple big mean cats.

dang472

Reaction score
Yep after a mouse ate my harness under the intake manifold on my Gen 1, it’s been all out warfare. Wrapped the new harness in Honda mouse tape, sprayed Rodent Defense all over the engine compartment, and have killed 9 mice in the last few weeks.

Gearheadfmc

Reaction score
Have same problem with All cars .... mice chewing wiring.

Got a battery beeper(rodent repellent)... mice made a nest on it....

Got a plug in model.... not as nice for them, seems to work better... not 100% tho

Got a motion light.... now with the three items, making progress...

Lastly....6 element solution... Put hood up..., use electric rodent chaser, use battery chaser, use motion light, use sticky paper, mouse bait poison feeders.... no more mice.... .... so far...

A royal pain in the ash!

Black helmet

Reaction score
Hey you all,
Brand new Raptor owner here.
On the issue of rodents.
I live in deep south Texas, where this is a major issue. This may sound crazy and utterly stupid. But I swear this works. Use a small paintbrush with some jalapeño juice on the actual wiring. There’s something in the jalapeño juice that rodents completely dislike.
I know, I know. Sounds crazy, but it works!

Jr24

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven’t had a problem lately but I have a problem with mice in the past getting into my garage and causing damage to my vehicles.

Someone suggested to me a while back that rodents hate the smell of original scent Irish Spring soap. I took a couple of Tupperware containers, cut holes in the lids, and filled them about half full with Irish Spring bars cut into chunks.

Now when I park in the garage, I take a container and leave it in my floorboard, plus I also have a couple of the containers which sit under my vehicles where I park in the garage.

Since I started doing this, I haven’t had a rodent problem and as an added bonus, people always comment that my vehicles smell good inside.