Road trip with a family of 5 over 3500 miles and 12 days. How does the Raptor hold up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Op states rivian and Tesla on a road trip with a family? Yea im sure that totally happened…

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by this? I've taken my Tesla's on long road trips many times.
What i mean is i couldn't imagine how ridiculous it must be to have to wait for a stupid battery car that has no room for cargo hours to charge to go 325 miles. All in an effort to try to prove a myth of being more eco friendly. And before you come back at me with some EV bs stats , Ive been on some road trips with the raptor 35gallon tank. You can load an entire family, and a shit ton of gear and luggage, fill it at the gas station in 3.5 minutes and drive all day long and you’ll still have over 1/4 tank.

engineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What i mean is i couldn't imagine how ridiculous it must be to have to wait for a stupid battery car that has no room for cargo hours to charge to go 325 miles. All in an effort to try to prove a myth of being more eco friendly. And before you come back at me with some EV bs stats , Ive been on some road trips with the raptor 35gallon tank. You can load an entire family, and a shit ton of gear and luggage, fill it at the gas station in 3.5 minutes and drive all day long and you’ll still have over 1/4 tank.
This post was worth a good chuckle. We've taken our ~311 mile range Model 3 on a couple of 750-1,000 mile road trips and it was fine. Surprising amount of room (even more in the Model Y) and Supercharger network meant sub-30 min charging stops (not hours), which gave us ample time to go to the restroom and stretch our legs. Do I prefer taking the Raptor? Yes, but it's purely personal preference.

You don't need to feel so threatened by EVs. They won't hurt you* I promise :)

*unless Elon keeps pushing out crappy FSD builds :eek:

Zybane

Reaction score

lol I never bought a Tesla to "prove anything". They are efficient per/mile (especially when charging from home), quiet and very peppy. Obviously my care about the "eco" side of it isn't that huge, I mean I bought a 37 Raptor for Peet's sake.

A Tesla really only takes ~20 minutes to charge if properly planned route every 2.5 hours or so. By the time I stretched my legs, walked the dogs and got a snack it was time to go anyway. Never understood this obsession with driving as long as possible stuck in a car seat for 6+ hours straight. My butt would feel like garbage and feel like crap arriving at the destination.

Driving 6+ hours then stopping for "3.5 minutes" then driving another 6+ hours and repeat.. sounds like another reason Americans are crazy Obese.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This post was worth a good chuckle. We've taken our ~311 mile range Model 3 on a couple of 750-1,000 mile road trips and it was fine. Surprising amount of room (even more in the Model Y) and Supercharger network meant sub-30 min charging stops (not hours), which gave us ample time to go to the restroom and stretch our legs. Do I prefer taking the Raptor? Yes, but it's purely personal preference.

You don't need to feel so threatened by EVs. They won't hurt you* I promise :)

*unless Elon keeps pushing out crappy FSD builds :eek:
Im sure you are fluffing your charge times to make it seem easier. You also have to plan your exact rout not to your destination but to charging stations. To which they are somewhat vacant now but that will be less and less as time goes on. You also are talking about summer not winter where range will drop 20% at least..

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
lol I never bought a Tesla to "prove anything". They are efficient per/mile (especially when charging from home), quiet and very peppy. Obviously my care about the "eco" side of it isn't that huge, I mean I bought a 37 Raptor for Peet's sake.

A Tesla really only takes ~20 minutes to charge if properly planned route every 2.5 hours or so. By the time I stretched my legs, walked the dogs and got a snack it was time to go anyway. Never understood this obsession with driving as long as possible stuck in a car seat for 6+ hours straight. My butt would feel like garbage and feel like crap arriving at the destination.
Its more about forcing the concept on people. Energy density in chemical elements is finite and has very low headroom no matter what kind of “ new battery tech” you think is going to come out, ev’s will always be heavy and at a range /time deficiency to that of hydrocarbons. This is before we even get into toxicity of said chemical elements and geo-political/ national defense characteristics of said forced move to ev’s. But I will not stand by and have people paint the concept glowingly because they have to justify spending 95+ k on a battery car that is a complete inconvenience .

engineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im sure you are fluffing your charge times to make it seem easier. You also have to plan your exact rout not to your destination but to charging stations. To which they are somewhat vacant now but that will be less and less as time goes on. You also are talking about summer not winter where range will drop 20% at least..
So the situation is this: you have no idea what it's like to own and use an EV, yet you have a very, very strong opinion about what it's like to own and use an EV.

That's weird.

MNLeadfoot

Reaction score
I'm more curious about the Rivian. The tesla charging network is great but I have heard mixed reviews about others?