Riku's Volant Pinging Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guy's,

So as many of you already know I have had a pinging issue with my Volant for ages now. Put it up for sale, then when it didn't sell I decided to troubleshoot the issue with more custom tunes.

JDM - I have had a good 6-7 custom tune revisions from them. In the end they got the pinging to stop completely but the power of the tune was gone. Sound like they totally retarded the timing.

5-Star - We are on Revision 4 after the original tune. The pinging has been isolated to 1000 rpm between 20-40 mph very light gas pressure while semi coasting. I'm very happy with 5-Star they have been quick with A++ customer service. I've been doing multiple data logs as well.

So here I am wondering if this is unique to the Volant or if an AFE or K&N would cure it. I'm all hung up on the CAI + Exhaust + Tune = best results. What say you guys about Stock Air Box + Exhaust + Tune = ?

Planning on adding headers in the coming month as I'm desiring more 60-80mph umph.

Any Support is appreciated.

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
According to my tuner K&N causes a lean condition. I am planing on getting rid of mine and going to an Airaid CAI with a filter sock per my tuners recommendation. He has dyno tested just about every F-150 CAI and says this one is the best out there.

OP
OP
RIKU

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks tank, so you were having a similar issue with running lean? How can the Airaid be any different it looks like a similar design.

Is this the filter sock:
image.php

Can you link me to the filter sock your getting?

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks tank, so you were having a similar issue with running lean? How can the Airaid be any different it looks like a similar design.

Is this the filter sock:
image.php

Can you link me to the filter sock your getting?

My tuner compensated for the lean condition. All CAIs are going to look the same to the naked eye but there may be small differences in the bends that effects how well it moves air. Yes, that is a filter sock. When using these trucks off-road a lot it's a good idea to have a filter sock on it. I'm just going to the one that Airaid sells for their intake instead of trying to find one from another brand that may or may not fit has well.

OP
OP
RIKU

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So does your truck run pretty smooth now with the CAM's and additional mod's?

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
IIRC, Ford was seeing "out of spec" readings from the MAF with the Volant installed...

If you think about it, the system is relying a lot on that little sensor that can only sample a small part of the volume of air entering the engine... If you simply added a second parallel tube from the air filter box to the intake manifold, the MAF would be reading way low compared to the amount of air that was actually making it to the engine. And increasing the size/flow of the tube might also affect the MAF's ability to sense sudden changes in air flow... such as when you open the throttle.

Unless someone correlates the actual volume of air passing through the different intake tube to the MAF sensor reading... and then adjusts the a/f mixture tables based on that data, it might be a tough problem to solve.

If I were having problems, I would try using a high-flow filter in the stock air box along with opening up the inlet side of the stock air box... the major restriction seems to be how much air can get into the stock air box.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In light of the issues involved in using a CAI, why bother? How much more power do you hope to get from the CAI?

Other issues involving CAIs include the potential for ingesting more debris and/or water than the stock box and warranty issues if problems do occur.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not speaking for RIKU, but there is more to a CAI than performance. Looks under the hood and how it sounds are big factors that are, in my experience, at least as important to the buyer as any performance gains. Sometimes more important.