Riding Rougher after off-roading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

genus727

Reaction score
I have a Stock 2010 Raptor (with 6.2L and 24k miles). When I bought this truck a few months ago I was blown away by how smoothly the truck handled down the road. It soaked up potholes and bumps like nothing. I have since taken the truck out to the dunes a couples times and handled it pretty gingerly. No jumps. After my trips I power wash all the sand off (including shocks and undercarriage). Recently (within the past week) I have noticed that the truck feels like it is riding a lot rougher. The weather has been a little colder, but I wouldn't think 10 degrees would make a significant difference (it's about 50 degrees out).

Has anyone else experienced something similar. Is there a diffinitive way to tell if the shocks are going out? Has anyone taken their truck in for suspension degradation?

Thanks in advance.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On my 2012 with 17,000 miles. Both rear shocks were blown. You could compress them easily with my hands.. You could look at the lower end of the shocks if there is shock oil around piston. Or take the shocks off and if you can easily compress them, then the nitrogen charge is gone/seals gone..

-Greg

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I'm with Greg, check your shocks to make sure they aren't blown. One of my rear shocks was blown at about 25k miles. Its not uncommon to have that happen.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

gordhunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had both fronts replaced under warranty and man could you tell the difference

Sent from my Note2

OP
OP
genus727

genus727

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I will check my shocks. Is there anything I can do to prevent blowing them out in the future?

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have since taken the truck out to the dunes a couples times and handled it pretty gingerly

:Insane:

---------- Post added at 06:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 AM ----------

[/COLOR]
Is there anything I can do to prevent blowing them out in the future?

Just leave the street queen in the garage next time

Last edited:

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
so you checked them and they are blown? like any shock they will need to be replaced eventually using them will not blow them out unless you land on one tire at a redeclare height.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ive had my truck for a few years now and have almost 50,000 on it and i have no problem with my shocks they seemt o be holding up great so far. i check them regualarly like i do everything else on the truck. but hopefully theyll last me till i get my fox 3.o's lol :rockit:

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Pat I think it's one of those situations where you just get that one huge hit that kills them or you don't. Mine died on a sand bar in a wash with about an 8" rise from the riverbed. Front took it fine and the back donkey kicked to hell.

panda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thing here...pulled one off the other day and just like Greg said, you can compress them with no effort. I'm going to do a quick rebuild with the kit from SDHQ while I wait for my new setup :)