Review of the Magnaflow #15588 cat-back exhaust kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Double Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had my Magnaflow #15588 cat-back exhaust kit on my 2011 Raptor Super Crew for approximately two weeks now. I purchased the exhaust kit through eBay for $469 shipped. I have seen this kit go for up to $600 online so do your research; there are good deals to be had out there.

Originally I was going to purchase the Borla exhaust kit instead, but as I continued to listen to the sound clips online I became convinced that the sound from both kits was very similar. I also learned that with the #15588 kit, Magnaflow had started using polished chrome tips with double-wall construction, which look almost identical to the Borla tips.

I had seen photos of other Magnaflow kits on Raptors that had single-wall construction similar to the OEM Ford tips. I did not want that, so I was very pleased to find that the #15588 kit came with nicer looking tips. By going with the Magnaflow kit, I saved approximately 50% off of the cost of the Borla and still have a great sounding exhaust kit made of stainless steel.

Sound Quality: 10/10

The first thing people want to know about when shopping for exhaust kits is how it sounds. To me, this is very subjective and hard -- if not impossible -- to convey across the Internet. Sound clips and videos rarely do justice to the way an exhaust kit sounds in person, so my recommendation is that you listen to as many different exhaust kits as possible in person before making your decision.

I am quite pleased with the exhaust note from the Magnaflow kit on my Raptor. It has a nice deep, mellow burble at idle and really opens up to a roar under hard acceleration.

As for drone inside the cabin, I have experienced really bad drone in the past with Mustang exhaust kits. There may be marginal drone with the Magnaflow on my Raptor, but it is so minimal that there is really no comparison. If I had to answer YES or NO to the question of drone, I would say NO. The OEM in-line resonator is likely to be thanked for this.

Yes, there is a louder exhaust signature inside the cabin of the truck. By making the exterior noise louder, you are obviously going to make the interior noise louder. If you cannot handle that, you shouldn't monkey with the exhaust system. Ford's OEM exhaust doesn't sound bad... it's just not that aggressive.

Installation Fitment: 7/10

I did the installation myself with common hand tools. Installation time was approximately 1.5 hours. This accounts for time spent removing the old exhaust unit and making a few adjustments to the new unit as described below.

Removing the factory exhaust is a job that will require a floor jack if you do not wish to hack up the piping. When you get to the point of actually removing the factory exhaust in one piece, you simply need to lift the rear of the truck with a floor jack so that the suspension is sufficiently unloaded and there is ample clearance to snake the tailpipes over the axle.

Installation of the Magnaflow kit goes easiest if you work from front to back, connecting to the OEM resonator first, then hanging the muffler, then hanging the tailpipe section. You re-use all of the OEM exhaust hangers for this.

When I got to the point of hanging the tailpipe section using the OEM hanger, I encountered what I attribute to an error in manufacturing tolerances at Magnaflow. The bayonet hanger welded to the tailpipe was simply too long, which left insufficient clearance between the end of the bayonet and the tailpipe tubing itself to pass the OEM rubber hanger between them.

I ended up spending some time taking length off of the bayonet with an angle grinder in small increments until it was short enough for the OEM rubber hanger to pass between. I also dimpled the Magnaflow exhaust tubing slightly with a hammer and a block of wood. The following photo makes it clearer:

i-Wrr6b6s-L.jpg

Other than this, installation was simple and painless. Anyone with common hand tools, a floor jack, two opposable thumbs and half a clue can do the installation in their own driveway. Swapping the exhaust system on your truck is probably one of the easiest mods you can do.

I doubt many folks will have to tweak the bayonet hanger the way that I did since this is probably just a manufacturing fluke. However, if you do have the same problem just take your time and do as I did to shorten the hanger a bit until it fits. Remember to take off a little at a time so as not to grind it down too short.

Appearance: 10/10

Time for some photos. I know someone is going to say, "ZOMG! The pipes are rusting!" and they will be morons for saying that. The pipes are not rusting. I wiped the tips off for the photos but the pipes themselves are covered with red gravel spray from having taken the truck down a farm road yesterday morning for some charity construction work. You can see where some of the gunk wiped off when I cleaned the tips.

The pipes did darken up and discolor a little after a few hours of driving, but that is expected. They turned a slight golden/tan color. The muffler itself is pretty dirty too but is a nice shiny polished stainless when it's clean.

Anyway, enjoy...

i-PPhPtsg-L.jpg

i-zdBpG25-L.jpg

i-5drmGw5-L.jpg

i-g5mBb54-L.jpg

i-fsgkDLm-L.jpg

Sound Clips / Videos:

I do not have any yet. I will try to do some soon, however as I said above, I think that sound clips and videos on the Internet are a really poor representation of how exhaust kits sound in real life. I do not place a whole lot of importance on them for that reason.

But I know folks are going to want some videos, so I'll do what I can soon.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow That looks Great. :)
I am torn between the Borla as well as the Magnaflow. I had Kooks headers and a Borla Stinger on my Blown Vette. It sounded nasty!

My main concern on the Borla is the Drone. Have you experienced any Drone with the Magnaflows?

I know the materials on the Borla are top notch, i.e. the price and they look and sound darn great

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oppps I just comment Drone? I guess just turn up the music!

OP
OP
Double Tap

Double Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol... no, I really don't think the Magnaflow drones in the Raptor as long as you leave the OEM resonator in place. If you remove the resonator I'm sure it will be much louder but will probably also drone a bit. It's a trade-off.

I have ridden in '03-04 Cobras with the Borla Stinger exhaust and they were just too raspy and obnoxious for my tastes. Vettes with Stingers sound quite a bit better. I suspect the Raptor would sound like a 1974 F100 with glass packs if you ran a Borla Stinger muffler on it. :D

OP
OP
Double Tap

Double Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing I forgot to mention in my first post is the weight savings that you will undoubtedly get from an aftermarket exhaust system. I did not weigh the truck before and after to give you hard scientific fact, but the OEM exhaust system is a beast and is heavy as hell. I would guess the Magnaflow is at least 30-40 lbs lighter than the OEM exhaust system.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great write-up.

I have had Borlas on several past and one current ride. I was certain I was going Borla with the Raptor.

However, I have heard from current Raptor/Borla owners that the sound is not great. I have heard the Magnaflows and they sound Awesome.

Not to mention and I can also confirm the price of the Magnaflows are literally 50% of the Borla and they are both Stainless Units.

I am going Magnaflow. :peace:

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is the Magnaflow made from 304 or 409 stainless steel?
If it is 409 stainless steel, is there an upgrade to 304 stainless steel option?

mrpositraction

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone is in the Triangle in NC and has the 6.2L I would love to hear it and ride in it. I have had them in the 5.4L and they drone too much for me. But I loved the sound

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
lol... no, I really don't think the Magnaflow drones in the Raptor as long as you leave the OEM resonator in place. If you remove the resonator I'm sure it will be much louder but will probably also drone a bit. It's a trade-off.

I have ridden in '03-04 Cobras with the Borla Stinger exhaust and they were just too raspy and obnoxious for my tastes. Vettes with Stingers sound quite a bit better. I suspect the Raptor would sound like a 1974 F100 with glass packs if you ran a Borla Stinger muffler on it. :D

The Magnaflow Magnapack is very similar to the Stingers.....and while having a bit of drone, it sounds maaaaaahvelous on the Raptor:waytogo: