GEN 2 Retractable Roof Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Simply put -

I would love to get a set of KC lights and then be able to retract them or lower them down further on the windshield if/when I need to go into a parking garage.

1. Retract on a guide that goes behind the cab and down, like a conveyer belt style.
2. The mounting area in the front could be longer with some sort of locking mechanism that holds the lights further down on the windshield.
3. Actual able to disconnect with some sort of large wingnut on command.

1652197660928.png

1652197848406.png

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
SO... I think even if you had that option, you would still be adding critical height to the truck - critical for (L)east coast living anyway... You already have 6’ 6.5” height stock and there are a literal cr@p ton of garages at 6’8” and a few under. I had to back out of a hospital garage signed a 6’8” because while the flat part was 6’8”, the ramp had a low hanging pipe that was ... maybe 6’2” IIRC it was in or near Largo...

You might could do a chase rack and use actuators / solenoids to lower the lights / raise them back in position. You might be able to do this option without adding any “height” over the roofline / satellite antenna.

Some aftermarket vendor has a setup like this. Not cheap as an option, but neither would yours be.

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Right I feel that... if I'm paying 2500 to see brighter some companies might be able to develop a cost effective way to help keep that investment from breaking in parking garages.

Otherwise, I will develop something in my garage and patent it.

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks like I may need to develop a slanted system...

Or one that is totally detachable, again by a wing nut..

1652206852345.png

Attachments

• Top  level lights.png
    Top level lights.png
    353 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So you're suggesting mounting it in the rear and then just having it fold down with a remote actuator? Or manual swing arm?

I also like the look of the KCs mounted on top....to be fair.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So you're suggesting mounting it in the rear and then just having it fold down with a remote actuator? Or manual swing arm?

I also like the look of the KCs mounted on top....to be fair.
Yeah. It's already a thing. Not to deter you from designing and creating your own thing, Just tossing that out there. I do think the lights up front look cool but seems like alot of work to be able to swing it down.

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So using the swing arm idea.

One could just mount them on a top rack, then have the entire rack on a swing arm that folds backwards and clears the rear of the cab so the lights will tuck down below the cab and effectively clear parking garages of 6' 8".

This can't be expensive. Literally buy a rack that is low enough and mount the lights to it, CUT the rack at half way and weld/bolt in an extended center section that has a hinge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter