replacing spare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WannaRaptor62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stupid question....when people replace wheels with aftermarket set-up such as 17" Methods do they replace the spare wheel too? Is it possible to store a spare Method in the same stock spare location? I plan to use the stock BFG for now if that makes a difference.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
It will fit fine. I am going aftermarket but not replacing the spare wheel. I typically don't use the spare for anything but a spare so I don't care that it doesn't match.

neveo

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i took my truck in today to do the perch adjustment and install my 35/12.5/20 toyo open country on fuel octanes ... i previously purchased 5 and when i told the guy to install the 5th wheel where the spare goes he hemmed and hawed.

first said it wouldnt fit, then said the rim would be seriously scratched and damaged there.

anyone know if the 35/12.5/20 will fit in place of the stock spare? and if so is there a way to do it without having the finish damaged {matte black}

neveo

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why waste the money on a spare??? Your only going to have it on until the regular tire is fixed.

when i ordered wheels an tires a few month before my raptor came in i had just ended my long expensive custom wheel experiment on my sedan. the roads in the bay area suck and i was bending custom 3 piece wheels at least once a month on my sedan. i ordered a 5th wheel and tire as a full spare and back up. somehow i thought the 5th wheel would replace the spare under the bed of the truck... i could have saved a few hundred bucks but now i can brake a wheel and not worry about waiting to find a replacement

i have broke rims late night on long remote drives so having a full spare is important to me and i hate having to wait for stuff.
still trying to see if the the extra or 5 wheel i have can be placed into the spare wheel holder and not have the finish damaged..

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
It should be fine, the sidewalls are the only parts that touch the underside of the truck. Also unless your planning on running like 24" rims on this truck you have no worries on damaging a rim. I still run 17s but I have hit deep potholes so hard it knocks my truck completely sideways in the street. Not one issue yet. Also 1 piece rims are Dramatically stronger than 3 piece.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
nothing is gonna get scratched up under there. the rim faces upward i can't see it taking any more of a pounding than the rims on the truck. also, it should fit there's a lot of play under there.

neveo

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
last question... will having a tire pressure sensor in the spare wheel interfere with the other 4 wheels being read by the tpms ?

neveo

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its fine had it in the bed and no issues. i had nothing but problems with my 08 z06 with aftermarket wheels and sensors...... thanks all