Replacing just the speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackraptor99

Reaction score
It's too bad you can't control the volume level of the sub independent of the door speakers, not on my 2012 anyways. Does it make any difference if you change the fade more to the rear speakers?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No. I did disconnect the tweeters today and it doesn't sound as bright, so it improved marginally. The only way to improve the bass it to have a sub with more juice. But I'm hoping I can find a solution that won't take up my storage space or break the bank.

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I visited the pros at my local car audio shop, and I'll be taking it Monday to have the Sony sub and enclosure replaced with a custom built box (can't be longer than 18") with a 10" subwoofer and a dedicated amp. $450 OTD including installation. So there goes my Livewire TS for May. But I think I will be a lot happier with the result. I like the door speakers, they sound good. But the whole system is missing a little "kick".

Pics and comments on Tuesday.

apeezie289

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I visited the pros at my local car audio shop, and I'll be taking it Monday to have the Sony sub and enclosure replaced with a custom built box (can't be longer than 18") with a 10" subwoofer and a dedicated amp. $450 OTD including installation. So there goes my Livewire TS for May. But I think I will be a lot happier with the result. I like the door speakers, they sound good. But the whole system is missing a little "kick".

Pics and comments on Tuesday.

They didn't try to talk you into the equalizer or whatever it's called as well?

Also are they building a box that will use the stock hardware mounts under the seat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They didn't try to talk you into the equalizer or whatever it's called as well?

Also are they building a box that will use the stock hardware mounts under the seat?

Nahhhh I told them I wanted to spend as little as possible, and I've been going there for 20 years so they know I'm a cheapskate. :emotions33:

But I trust them, they do quality work and never let me down. If he says it will sound good (to me) I believe him. I'm not sure how he plans to mount it. I just hand over the truck and keys at 9am and show up at 4pm to pick it up. I'll ask him how he mounted it then.

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here's the pics of the custom box. It sounds pretty good. I have the knob turned almost all the way down. I think the amp they used was a bit overkill. But better to have too much than not enough!

uma3e6az.jpg

tyhepaby.jpg

napaduru.jpg

8atazate.jpg

duhary4u.jpg

The box is not bolted to the floor. It just lays there. It's pretty heavy and it doesn't seem to move or rattle. The box seems very well made and the size is perfect.

Backinblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So much for just replacing the speakers...can't get there from here. You're ending up with a full-on audio build. Don't worry we all started out "with just the speakers".

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So much for just replacing the speakers...can't get there from here. You're ending up with a full-on audio build. Don't worry we all started out "with just the speakers".

LOL. Yeah. Well, I'm done with audio upgrades. A tuner is next on the list. Changing the door speakers helps a little bit if you already like your Sony system, which I did, but the bass will suffer as the new door speakers will make everything sound brighter. The only good solution for the sub is to put a bigger dedicated amp with a new sub. Swapping just the speaker is most likely not going to do much.

I knew that, but wanted to try to get away with as little spend as possible. I also wanted something that fit in the stock location, as I was not ready to give up any more space. Those $450 I would have rather spent on something else. But I have to say wow, what a big difference. I am sure that another grand or two on more amps, better speakers, etc. would be sweet. Maybe in a year. Or three.

apeezie289

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the pics of the custom box. It sounds pretty good. I have the knob turned almost all the way down. I think the amp they used was a bit overkill. But better to have too much than not enough!

uma3e6az.jpg

tyhepaby.jpg

napaduru.jpg

8atazate.jpg

duhary4u.jpg

The box is not bolted to the floor. It just lays there. It's pretty heavy and it doesn't seem to move or rattle. The box seems very well made and the size is perfect.

What's the small controller box near the amp? Is that the amp gain control mounted near the driver's seat?

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The box is a PAC SNI-35, which is a line out converter. It takes the input from the factory sub and provides RCA output signal.

The button with the blue led under the steering wheel is my bass "volume" knob. :)