Replacing just the speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chayse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a 90 degree wire pick to get the door plate off from the back edge need the door pull. I just pulled out the door pull to get room, stuck it behind there and pulled. It came right out. Your trim tool looks a little thick to get the right leverage and have room for it to move.

apeezie289

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got both back doors done today. Installed some sound deadening material also. Pretty easy once I got the hang of it. Now my sony sub is rattling & sounds blown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackraptor99

Reaction score
Ok, the door speakers are in. Verdict? Worth every single penny I spent on the door speakers. $110 shipped from Amazon.

If you already like your Sony system, you are going to like it even more. If you don't like it, I doubt this will make you change your mind. But if your budget is tight, this nigh be a good option for you.

This video is awesome for showing you how to remove the doors. Thanks to the guys that put it together. Very helpful.

2009-2014 F150 Door Panel Removal Instructions - YouTube

I took all four panels off first as I had my trim tool and screwdriver handy.

gedu5amy.jpg

The new speakers were surprisingly lighter than the stock ones.

zevubuva.jpg

The Metra speaker adapters were a life saver. Made this truly plug and play.

7utu8uza.jpg

I think, don't quote me, that the center channel speaker uses the same connector. I did that speaker yesterday before the connectors arrived so I spliced the cables together for that one then old fashioned way.

They look nice installed.

4ynysazy.jpg

I'm about to reassemble the doors. Wish me luck. Taking them off seemed a lot easier..,

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

Oh, I forgot to mention, the sound is much brighter now. I think I may skip the tweeters. I'll wait until I do the sub tomorrow before I decide.
Did you ever try swapping out the tweeters? Did they fit and make a difference to the overall sound?

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you ever try swapping out the tweeters? Did they fit and make a difference to the overall sound?

No. After swapping the speakers the sound was very bright. Tweeters was the last thing I needed to swap. Now my sub sounds weak. I'm tempted to putting the old speakers back until I can afford a decent sub upgrade.

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

Got both back doors done today. Installed some sound deadening material also. Pretty easy once I got the hang of it. Now my sony sub is rattling & sounds blown

Doesn't it though? It sounded fine before but we've somehow messed with the balance of the universe...

apeezie289

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah man my sub is screwed up, it was sounding blown even before replacing the Sony 5x7 s

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nah man my sub is screwed up, it was sounding blown even before replacing the Sony 5x7 s

Then it's time for a new sub! Yay! I've been researching and there's not a lot of choices for under the back passenger side seat. For the longer rear drivers side seat there's some pretty nice options, but I already have a Tuffy storage box there.

I've been considering some very flat small powered subs for behind the rear seat backs. Yeah, it sounds crazy. But I read it on the internet that they fit and sound good. So it must be true... ;)

apeezie289

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the odds of fellow forum members donating a 8" Sony sub to me just cause it's taking up space in the garage?