Replace Shifter with Dial?

Shifter or Dial?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The truck seems to drive happier if I regularly caress the shifter. I'm happier too.

Never driven a vehicle with a dial, so perhaps I'd get used to it rather easily. I get that the shifter takes up a lot of space and is completely unnecessary. However, it's done, I don't want to have to stare at the button/dial/shifter to use it. I should be able to tell by feel that I've shifted and see what I'm in on the dash if I need to. I don't want something that I feel like I need to be gentle with either.

Vader

Reaction score
Buttons or dial so long as I had paddles would be fine.
Maybe they could incorporate the 4x4 shifting into this as well.

Rico2

Reaction score
My vote, center console CF shifter! "regularly caress"

My wife has the 2018 Navigator with the Piano Keys shifter. I wasn't sure how I'd like it but its pretty nice. I like how it's mounted in the center, functionally its seamless. I don't think I would enjoy a dial.

On that note; Looks like they took a lot of tech from the new Navigator into the Gen3's

V8 Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally can't stand the dial - I have it in my Explorer ST right now, and it drives me nuts. I can't wait to get back into a Raptor with the shifter, even though everyone seems to be complaining about the feel of them in the Gen3.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
- "gated" auto shifters like lexus/toyota that enable you to throw the shifter in the right spot quickly using muscle memory

I’m not sure I have ever driven an automatic transmission, column or center console shifter, that didn’t have the detent for drive built in. I just pull the “trigger” to get it out of park, release “trigger” while pulling back through reverse, and then continue to pull back until it stops at drive.