Replace color keyed fenders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZookieRap

Reaction score
Been searching for a raptor and found a 2019 in blue (not really the color I was searching for) with the recaro interior, carbon fiber, 802a, basically everything I'm looking for. Except that the original buyer color keyed everything. I know the 802a handles, mirrors, etc but they did the fender flares and that small lower panel between the rear fender and the rear bumper. It's all painted blue and I'm not sure I like it. The tailgate is also all painted and doesn't say Ford like most raptors. I'm just not sure I like the look.

On some level this is small stuff and on another with a truck at this price point, well, I like what I like and I'm not sure I like it all color keyed.

So the question is how difficult would it be to change these pieces out. It's really just the fender flares I guess because the tailgate has a standard F-150 recessed with the Ford oval in the center and there would be no way to cover up that recessed F-150 I'm sure. First time I've seen a Raptor with this. I'm assuming the entire tailgate would need replaced and that, I'm sure, is not worth it.

Thanks!

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
The flares are $500+ each. I scratched one deeply and bought new from ford. Don't know about the tailgate applique.

OP
OP
ZookieRap

ZookieRap

Reaction score
Sheesh. $2k for fender flares...suppose I should not be shocked. As long as it took to find this truck that checks most boxes maybe I'll keep searching. Or get onboard with the color keyed. Maybe they aren't so bad, but I'm just looking at pictures and the truck is a flight away or I'd just check it out. Thanks for the info!

Wolfeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Color matched flares are definitely personal preference. Tailgate appliqué is nearly impossible to add after the fact. Find the truck you want. It costs too much to settle.

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
Applique delete is an option, you'd need a whole new tailgate. If you're patient and diligent on the WTB/WTS section and look through FB groups you might get lucky and find someone who wants to switch.

You could also look into repainting the flares instead of buying new ones. The Raptor tax is high with those, shipping them is even worse apparently.

I'd say move on to the next one but it's tough with inventory being so low.

OP
OP
ZookieRap

ZookieRap

Reaction score
Thanks. Was hoping the new one was available sooner and that it would cause some guys to sell their gen2 but I can't wait the many months that will actually take. My current vehicle is just itching to burn me with some high repair costs so I need to make a move soon.

docskeet1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO in the grand scheme of things the color matching is a small thing. If the truck you found is the right price and optioned the way you want, buy it.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think color matching is a big deal, you could have the fender flares wrapped or painted, maybe check on pricing for those two items. Otherwise, be patient and keep looking, their are a few gen 2s out there and Gen 1s.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted a loaded 802A in Velocity Blue. After months of searching, the one I bought didn't have the bead lock ready wheels and had a freakin sunroof. Glad I got it, but still hate the roof (because of course its got a small rattle now). I'd probably still be looking for the "perfect truck". Complaint a side, I still smile every time I get in it, and miss driving it during the week (company vehicle).

Funnier still, I will probably end up matching the paint on mine. I only like the color of the trim pieces with the bead lock ready wheels. Otherwise think the paint matched looks better IMO. I'd buy a set of the OE wheels, but for less than a used set, I can run 6 new bead grip Methods. Just waiting on the more Raptor friendly off set (+25 I think) that is supposed to be out soon.

RubyDaCherry

Reaction score
Can always remove the painted parts and have them powder-coated back to factory color or even your desired color........................................