Replace color keyed fenders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you talking about a gate that has no applique, like mine? Like JZ said, I've seen a few guys Line-X'ed their flares and it looked good. A lot of guys paint matched them, I think it looks OK, but I wouldn't do it to mine. I think it looks more like a Raptor with the contrasted flares.

IMG_8140.JPG

OP
OP
ZookieRap

ZookieRap

Reaction score
Are you talking about a gate that has no applique, like mine? Like JZ said, I've seen a few guys Line-X'ed their flares and it looked good. A lot of guys paint matched them, I think it looks OK, but I wouldn't do it to mine. I think it looks more like a Raptor with the contrasted flares.

View attachment 162063

Yep that's the exact gate, well, with the Ford oval of course. But I've never seen this in person and it doesn't look bad on your truck. Guess the trucks I've seen have all had the applique so that's "normal" to me. The gate isn't really a big deal, it's the fenders. Like you, I like the contrasted color fenders.

There's not a truck in the nation that has everything I want so like someone previously posted, I could search forever and not get the exact things I want but unless I can see one in person with color keyed fenders, I'm not sure I want to give in on the fenders. Appreciate everyone's reply!

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep that's the exact gate, well, with the Ford oval of course. But I've never seen this in person and it doesn't look bad on your truck. Guess the trucks I've seen have all had the applique so that's "normal" to me. The gate isn't really a big deal, it's the fenders. Like you, I like the contrasted color fenders.

There's not a truck in the nation that has everything I want so like someone previously posted, I could search forever and not get the exact things I want but unless I can see one in person with color keyed fenders, I'm not sure I want to give in on the fenders. Appreciate everyone's reply!

When I ordered mine, I actually went back on forth on the tailgate. I ended up thinking in Race Red it looked a little cleaner without the applique. I like it both ways though.

Venerous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I ordered mine, I actually went back on forth on the tailgate. I ended up thinking in Race Red it looked a little cleaner without the applique. I like it both ways though.

I'd say if it checks all the other boxes, go for it. Worse comes to worse you can Line-X 'em like others suggested, get them wrapped, or go to town on them yourself - get some wrap and try your hand at it or prep/paint them back to factory. With the tailgate, I did the same thing as @Oldfart (nice look brother!) - went back and forth on it for a while, settled on what I have and am very happy with it:

2zSHPDC.jpg

2ndFord

Reaction score
Really like color matching. Ordered my '18 "Magnetic" not just because I think it's the best color, but also because that color very closely matches the color of the fender flares and all of the other trim. Frankly I can't stand the contrasting look between trim color and paint color choice, makes trim look like a cheap cop-out afterthought. Ordered w/o graphics too, don't like those either. I don't need to advertise that my truck is a "Raptor". Those who appreciate its' body lines and style will know what it is w/o "advertisement". Those who don't recognize what it is w/o a visual aid don't care anyway. Yet on this forum I'd bet my opinions are in the minority.

Driving a Raptor (around here anyway) is like riding a Harley. Those driving the same give you a casual wave, just lifting one hands-worth of fingers off the steering wheel or handlebar as you pass. The ones that bother me are those with I believe to be a Raptor grille (FORD) transplanted onto a standard F-150, or is this actually an available option? Those drivers never "do the wave" as if they know they are posing imposters, embarrassed by their forgery.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd keep looking. I don't care for the applique-less tailgate or the color matched flares and bumpers on blue.

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say if it checks all the other boxes, go for it. Worse comes to worse you can Line-X 'em like others suggested, get them wrapped, or go to town on them yourself - get some wrap and try your hand at it or prep/paint them back to factory. With the tailgate, I did the same thing as @Oldfart (nice look brother!) - went back and forth on it for a while, settled on what I have and am very happy with it:

2zSHPDC.jpg
This looks awesome!!