Remote start settings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, this summer when I used the remote start, the AC worked like a champ. Now that it's getting cold, the heat doesn't seem to want to kick on like the AC did. I've checked all the settings, and it's all set to auto (just like this summer). Any thoughts?

Ranger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, this summer when I used the remote start, the AC worked like a champ. Now that it's getting cold, the heat doesn't seem to want to kick on like the AC did. I've checked all the settings, and it's all set to auto (just like this summer). Any thoughts?

Unlike the AC which produces instant cold once the compressor is turning as soon as the engine starts, the heater core can't produce heat until the engine is warmed up. That's a big hunk of metal under the hood that has to warm up before is starts giving heat to the cabin. Depending on how cold it is, at idle it can take several minutes.

One option is to plug in a block heater, you will get warm cabin air within a minute.

jlauth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may just take longer for the heat to start working. The min you start the truck in summer the AC compressor starts cooking, and spitting out cold air. It takes a few min for your truck to get to a temp in the winter, and the heat won't be full strength till it does. On cold days you prob need to give it 15 min or so to get toasty warm.

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

Unlike the AC which produces instant cold once the compressor is turning as soon as the engine starts, the heater core can't produce heat until the engine is warmed up. That's a big hunk of metal under the hood that has to warm up before is starts giving heat to the cabin. Depending on how cold it is, at idle it can take several minutes.

One option is to plug in a block heater, you will get warm cabin air within a minute.

I guess we were typing at the same time?!?!? Haha

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score

When you get in your vehicle after starting remotely watch your ambient air temp. These vehicles have issue and will remember temp from previous day when it was prob warmer so it then causes heat not to turn on. There is a tsb out on it where you update the HVAC module. Its just a thought

OP
OP
Trig

Trig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand that it wouldn't get instantly warm, it's just that it wasn't putting out much airflow. I guess it's smart and doesn't start pumping out the air until the engine gets warm. It was colder than a well digger's ass (that's a technical term) this morning, and after letting the remote start do its thing for a good long while, it's was nice and toasty in the Raptor. It still didn't turn on the seat heater (it was less than 32 degrees), so there might be something to that remembered ambient air temp theory.

OP
OP
Trig

Trig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They should turn on automatically with the remote start (if it's set up that way) when it's 32 degrees or less.

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
TSB 11-3-13

ISSUE:
Some 2011 F-150 vehicles built on or before 1/6/2011 equipped with a outside air temperature display in the front display interface module (FDIM) may exhibit inaccurate temperature indication. This concern may also affect electronic automatic temperature control (EATC) equipped vehicle's temperature control operation and remote start system climate control operation when set to auto function.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Check for any diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) present in the FDIM, HVAC, or powertrain control module (PCM) using Integrated Diagnostic Software (IDS).
If any DTCs are present, discontinue this procedure and proceed with Workshop Manual or Powertrain Controls/Emissions Diagnosis as directed by the appropriate DTC chart.
If no DTCs are present in the above listed modules, proceed to Step 2.
Reprogram the HVAC module to the latest calibration using IDS release 71.04 and higher or 72.01 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2011.3 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at Buy Motorcraft Parts Online | Official Motorcraft Auto Parts Site | FordParts.com.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part