Reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Jpro39

Reaction score
I remember my wife’s Subaru ascent had a recall that the engine could stop running while going down the highway and when she took it in the dealer said it would be 3 mo the before they could get the tool to even correct the problem. That was scary.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll pipe in here albeit I'm in a Gen 2. I keep my vehicles a good long time - 150-200k miles generally, or at least they will stay in the family that long because Im not one to throw money away switching depreciating assets year after year, I have better things to spend my money on, like assets that hold and produce wealth over time. I guess I'm a minority here lol, or maybe thats just my perception :) - see comment at the end

I'm 6 years and 95k miles into my Gen 2. It's had phasers and some other things , sun roof, front diff seal, sway bar link, etc. Nothing major, never left me stranded. yes Ive probably done more work on it then my past vehicles but I do off road it and am meticulous about its maintenance and fixing issues as they arise. My neighbors think its "broke" all the time, but Im always under it making sure things are fine or doing maintenance. I want a vehicle at high miles that performs like new.

I have a buddy with a couple hondas and toyotas that always says" your always working on your ford". He ran his lexus low on oil after that track because "it had was full at the beginning, why check again", and his Honda CRV needs to pull the fuse for his wipers unless it's raining , then you put them in because it has some electrical gremlin and doesnt stop running. But guess what. Its "never in the shop".

Perception isn't always reality.

Buy a good Gen 3 from 1 owner or new, not from a dealer. Make sure you know its history and trust the owner and you will be setup the best you can be.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I must say that 3.5 has been great. I have had the trans replaced. Allot of silly little issues such as fit n finish/stereo head unit/ shocks/ body cladding.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I remember my wife’s Subaru ascent had a recall that the engine could stop running while going down the highway and when she took it in the dealer said it would be 3 mo the before they could get the tool to even correct the problem. That was scary.
I remember I had to hop over to the Subaru dealer to be a service advisor for 3 months due to the mass amounts of customers here in Idaho. I never knew Subarus were such pieces of junk... no offense.

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When your #3 in truck sales, your volume is low and a company can “afford” to make sure the vehicles pass rigorous inspections. When you increase your production, the volume will increase the number of chances an issue arises and unfortunately inspections may not be as rigorous due to pressure to”get the vehicle out”.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have over 187k on my Gen 1 and going STRONG. I've seen many High mileage Gen 2s also and going strong. Gen 3s are new but same overall drive train as the 2s. Maintenance is key to anything. Gen 2s have been plagued with cam phasers but thats been fixed. Tundra were plagued with Main crank bearing issues when they 1st came out. Seems its the techy electronic issues that go wrong most of the time but thats with every single vehicle manufacturer these days as they are all outsourced by different companies that make em

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I remember I had to hop over to the Subaru dealer to be a service advisor for 3 months due to the mass amounts of customers here in Idaho. I never knew Subarus were such pieces of junk... no offense.
They’re the Japanese Audi, in more ways than one.

Rocks2Sand

Reaction score
This is all too common especially in the Jeep community. A false perception due to prior experience. Prior gen tundras were absolutely bullet proof, but one of the underlying reasons is the extreme lack of aftermarket support for tuning, inability to easily run large tires, lift kits, etc. In the Jeep community people swap the entire suspension and then complain of a rough ride. People throw on E rated 37’s and complain that the steering and ball joints are junk. They spend $2k to $3k on suspension links and only $75 on shocks. The vast majority of problems and complaints are generated by people with highly modified vehicles. The vast majority of tundras, especially ones with super high mileage are completely stock.

OP
OP
J

Jpro39

Reaction score
One of my vehicles currently is a Acura MDX ‘22 and first year I hit the button for the moonroof screen and it completely fell off the track and then snapped as the motor kept running. They had to replace the entire screen and tracking. It wasn’t a big deal to me, my focus is on the engine, tans, and brakes, will it get me home safely is all I care about.