Reconfiguring rear seats....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dataustin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While it was great having enough room to get 6 large guys into the truck last week in a pinch, we typically have 3-4 guys in the truck as we crisscross the country. Has anyone ever thought of replacing the rear seats with a pair of front seats for those long haul trips across country, and if so, what would be the technical challenges?

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Biggest challenge would be structurally supporting the seats when bolted in so that they are safe in the event of an accident. Second would be space, never measured how much it would take up and what clearances you would have for reclining and leg space.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Biggest challenge would be structurally supporting the seats when bolted in so that they are safe in the event of an accident. Second would be space, never measured how much it would take up and what clearances you would have for reclining and leg space.

Agreed. However, it would be fairly easy to make some reinforcement plates and get everything properly anchored.

But, the biggest issue would be clearance. Alternatively, look at the Hennessey SUV, they have a configuration with captain's chairs. I think you'd have to make some type of bracket similar to the an airplane. When you recline, the seat bottom slides a bit forward, which would give you a little more space to utilize the backrest.

VRSUVInterior223.jpg

Chris's FX4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's an interesting idea.
Since the cab is the same as the regular F-150's SCREWs, there might be some info on the F-150 forum. Let us know what you come up with.

Buy a raffle ticket for Avery: win an awesome prize for your Raptor.
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f195/november-pay-forward-event-38746/#post780993

I don't think anyone over there has ever thought of this.

I know the rear seats on the 2001-2003 Super Crew King Ranch's and Harley Davidson's were kind of like this, as in the pics below.

56769851.jpg

47959265.jpg

photo.jpg

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

Tagging Carl since I'm pretty sure he worked with automotive seat design. @MTUH3

Last edited:

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From a safety standpoint, front seats can usually hold more load. I say that because they typically weigh more, and have one of the belt attachments to the, vs most anchor points to the floor.

It is was me, I would build a tube structure below the seats and tie it into the truck frame. The Screw rear seats are considered a stadium type seat, and there is nothing in the body to anchor the front of the seats. You biggest challenge will be ensure whatever you design will not pull through the floor. There are usually reinforcement bars or structure under the seats.

The trucks in Chris's photos look like an older body style, which may have had cushion supports before. Those are the long link bars in the front.

To save on size, I would look at second row Flex seats. I believe they bolt straight to the floor, so there would not be much in the way feet or hooks to work around or remove.

I have considered doing this also, but not sure if I will get there.

OP
OP
dataustin

dataustin

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I agree with everyone's responses. Structural issues aside, not that those are absolutely critical to this project, I was thinking of positioning a pair of front seats in the back so that in the 'standard mode' they are comfortable. Then, if the passenger wanted to recline, he/she would power the chair forward and get a couple of inches of recline which is more than they get today.

Back to the structure issues, me personally, I would need to work with someone who understands those issues and has the capability to make the necessary modifications.

And of course, I will need to have some type of console with multiple power outlets to power everyone's iPhones, iPads and MacBooks... lol

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Could you just go to an upholstery shop and have them cut the "bench" seat on the driver side to be a captains chair? I did that with my Lightning when I had it. Bought a passenger seat pan from an expedition and had an upholstery shop cut the seat to look like the driver seat and then put the expedition center console in the truck. I imagine something like that might be possible with ours.