Rebuilding a 6.2 Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel bad that you had to tear it all down to surface the deck, that should have been done without question from the machine shop. Well at least you are learning a bunch and had the opportunity to add all new rings while apart.
Did the grade #2 piston weigh in a little closer to the other 7?

No, the grade 2 didn't weigh closer, but I didn't expect it to. By default it should have been heavier than the grade 1 as it's larger in tolerance. I have a feeling that the extra weight came from the rod, as I said, it looked quite a bit different than the original ones, but being that I never weighed rods, pins, and pistons separately, I can't definitively say.

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got to work on this a little bit yesterday. Was productive, but ran into a few obstacles like always.

Installed the new heater outlet pipe:

IMG_8175.JPG

Fresh head gaskets:

IMG_8176.JPG

So here was snag number one. Was going to replace valve springs, but both my tool and the rental tool weren't quite adequate enough to get the job done. Just couldn't quite get the springs compressed enough to get to the keepers with this style of tool:

IMG_8177.JPG

Snag number two; the cam phaser filters I ordered were totally different than what I pulled out. These may be for a Coyote:

IMG_8179.JPG

Fresh head bolts:

IMG_8180.JPG

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue with those valve spring tools, they suck! Here's what I'm going to try next year:
IMG_4144.JPEG
There are a few videos on Youtube, one shows using it on the bench (they back up the valve with a rag) and this one that I'll try using compressed air:
Appreciate the update, good to hear any progress heh.

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bank 2 head installed:

IMG_8185.JPG

New timing set and snag 3. Looks like Melling shorted me one chain guide:

IMG_8186.JPG

Also you can see snag 4 in the pic above. You'll notice the lower chain guide in the pic still has a bolt but the other one appears to have gotten lost in the shuffle. Finding an OEM fastener that isn't a commonly replaced part online isn't very easy if you don't have a part number. I found some for the tensioners, which are the same, used on eBay from an F250 for $22.50!! Called my dealer and they ordered me one for $2.50. Should be here tomorrow. If anybody ever needs the P/N, which I doubt they will, it is W503281-S300. They also have a torque sequence. 4 tensioners and 2 guides.

Step 1 = 10 Nm, 89 lb.in
Step 2 = + 45 degrees

Timing set installed. I just have a temporary bolt in there for now until I get the OEM one.

IMG_8187.JPG

Starting to look like something. That was pretty straight forward. I also ordered a new heater inlet pipe.

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue with those valve spring tools, they suck! Here's what I'm going to try next year:
View attachment 334615
There are a few videos on Youtube, one shows using it on the bench (they back up the valve with a rag) and this one that I'll try using compressed air:
Appreciate the update, good to hear any progress heh.

This tool looks like the move. I've seen homies do that with just hamming a socket over them, but nah. But also I'm glad you posted this because you know, I didn't even think to check if the valve slid down because I'm dumb. I bet I could have gotten them. Well ****.

Holy $hit 90° twice?! I would be sweating bullets that last round thinking one would break haha!

Also glad I made this post and you commented because I just realized I only went to step 3, which already felt like a lot. Still got another 90° to go all around. Yikes.