GEN 1 Rear Differential Whine on 2014

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steebo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A differential rebuilt is not something amateurs can handle without proper tools and knowledge. Typical differential pinion gears use crush sleeve bearings that are one time install. Improper crush sleeve size can make improper contact with the ring gear and will likely destroy the ring and/or pinion under heavy load or rapid acceleration. At the very least you will need a micrometer and gear paint but I would highly suggest you take it to a reputable shop.

OP
OP
Xlr8tin

Xlr8tin

Reaction score
I am going to go with the transmission shop that I found yesterday. I called them again and spoke to the owner who is the main mechanic there and we basically diagnosed it as we talked. Granted we don't know what the inside looks like so when it is opened up it could also need the R&P, but it is as many of you were thinking..The pinion bearing since it whines during acceleration.

He quoted me $450 for labor and I am going to go ahead and get a Yukon master overhaul kit. I plan to get the rear wheel bearings as well since it will all be apart.

Can anyone think of something else that would be worth changing that isn't included in these kits? Thanks?

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just went through Diff rebuild in January. SDHQ did it with NiTRO gears that were REM polished 4.88 ratio and master Rebuild kit . With outer axle bearings. I have been running it hard since got it back been working flawless.

Axle rebuild something i would not want to tackle , with out a ton of info and proper tools. Its easier for me to work extra overtime at my job and pay for quality work than try to do it myself. Learning that as i get older .

My thread . https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/missing-some-toofers.80873/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Xlr8tin

Xlr8tin

Reaction score
I just went through Diff rebuild in January. SDHQ did it with NiTRO gears that were REM polished 4.88 ratio and master Rebuild kit . With outer axle bearings. I have been running it hard since got it back been working flawless.
My thread . https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/missing-some-toofers.80873/

Ok, than I need to pick your brain since you are SC. Do you have oversized tires? Mine are stock size and plan to keep it at this size for foreseeable future. I ask because I am trying to figure out if I should change the gear ratio while I'm in there? I assume I am stock at 4.11 or 4.10 whatever people say. Is there a reason to change ratio that could help me in a different way or do people usually change it when they have bigger tires. I love to hear the SC so I get on it.

When I go to SDHQ website I only see their kit that has both the front and rear rebuild kits. Do they have just the rear? Also which outer bearings did you go with? I didn't plan to do a huge upgrade, but if it needs to be fixed I might as well look at my options. Sorry if all of this is in your thread. I read the first few posts and got anxious

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have Toyo mt 37s , they are heavy . Honestly if i had to do over from get go, i would of never went 37s . Stuck with 35s and 4.10s. Since i'm not changing back . I Believe supercharged i should of went 4.56 gears and 4.88s Non supercharged with 37s . My opinion with 4.88 gears 1st and 2nd is over to quick never get into good pull . End of 2nd to 3rd and then 4th pull really hard because you are in the meat of the torque.

I would stick with 4:10s and 35s. Call SDHQ Ask for Serena she can give details on their kits their website is a little wonky on packages. Rem polish was like 100 bucks and cuts gear break in time to nothing. They said i dint have to break it in but i still did first 100 miles.

OP
OP
Xlr8tin

Xlr8tin

Reaction score
I have Toyo mt 37s , they are heavy . Honestly if i had to do over from get go, i would of never went 37s . Stuck with 35s and 4.10s. Since i'm not changing back . I Believe supercharged i should of went 4.56 gears and 4.88s Non supercharged with 37s . My opinion with 4.88 gears 1st and 2nd is over to quick never get into good pull . End of 2nd to 3rd and then 4th pull really hard because you are in the meat of the torque.

I would stick with 4:10s and 35s. Call SDHQ Ask for Serena she can give details on their kits their website is a little wonky on packages. Rem polish was like 100 bucks and cuts gear break in time to nothing. They said i dint have to break it in but i still did first 100 miles.

Perfect, That's what I wanted to get straightened out. Than I might as well stay with what I have since it is also the family car;-) Although I surprised a vette the other day and stayed with him and started to walk away before we ran into traffic. Man that was awesome! These trucks are amazing as far as I am concerned.

Oh, what did you get for wheel bearings? Will Timken work?

Christyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ask because I am trying to figure out if I should change the gear ratio while I'm in there? I assume I am stock at 4.11 or 4.10 whatever people say. Is there a reason to change ratio that could help me in a different way or do people usually change it when they have bigger tires. I love to hear the SC so I get on it.

Remember that if you change rear gears, you need to change front gears. I wouldn't change ratios, for multiple reasons, especially if you're staying 35s.