Missing some toofers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Started hearing a noise last week almost like brake rotor scraping dust shield . it would go away when i coasted and make noise driving steady . Jacked truck up and spun wheels no noise , then started up truck put in drive was getting knocking noise around 30mph . Sounded like U - joint. Shut it down found little play in front u -joint . This is a dynotech drive shaft , I still had the OEM driveshaft put away . Swapped Drive shafts took it for a ride noise was gone seemed like. Drove around the block few times . Took out get some more speed still no noise. Headed back home stop light by my neigborhood layed in the throttle hard . BOOM BOOM BOOM . Pulled over got underneath thought drive shaft twisted up . Nope . Started back up put in 4hi limped it back home at 5mph . 4.88 gears been in there for 60,000 miles . Just joined Triple AAA today get towed up to SDHQ after christmas for rebuild and couple other things. I haven't shock loaded it don't do burn outs , Spider gears look mint . Think one tooth was boke and that was the noise? bearing going out? Teeth don't show any wear or discoloration.

diff.jpg

tooth.jpg

Last edited:

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well,mine was not as worst as yours,but tooth was broken off on Pinion gear and giving some loud rear end noise.Also around 62K,but what the heck,was planning to change Diff. cover and gear oil anyway.
Couldnt do my self due to recent surgery,but did have it towed (AAA) to my trusted Mechanic... $1200 for total rebuild,which I thought was fair.
With AAA...make sure you insist on a Flatbed...I also had just gotten AAA 6 months ago,told them to send Flatbed,they send regular tow truck,guy says,we would rather not tow with this,you need a flatbed...DUH...thats what I told them..and he said alot of the people on other end of line at AAA dont have a clue.......So he called in for Flatbed...figured I'd get 2 Tows off my 4 for the year,but he said,they listen to the tapes and if AAA falut,you dont get dinged 2 times....SO,if you didnt already tell them,I'd call back....lucky it was in my driveway,so no big deal....but would of been a bummer if on side of road for another 2 hrs.
Good luck with your rebuild..! and Happy Holidays

PS to anyone reading this..YES...AAA is worth every cent,especially if you live in the country...I'm 45 miles from nearest shop and its a $300+ tow job....I also have the 100mile tow limit for when your on the road....TOTALLY worth the $98 per year....Doubt I'll ever use the Gas or Lock-Out on the policy,but at my age,sure will not want to be changing a flat in pouring rain on side of road..LOL

OP
OP
1BAD454SSv2

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Im Going to tell them it needs to be a flat bed wide enough for ford raptor. Mine is sitting in my driveway not big deal if I have to wait. I'm supercharged I was hitting it pretty hard when all hell broke loose. I was expecting the drive shaft to come flying out as it was happening.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is some serious carnage. Have you checked the differential side and pinion bearings yet? My guess would be a differential bearing failed which allowed the ring gear to be pushed rearward. You can see that the pinion was only contacting the ring gear at the heel, which broke the teeth off.

OP
OP
1BAD454SSv2

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is some serious carnage. Have you checked the differential side and pinion bearings yet? My guess would be a differential bearing failed which allowed the ring gear to be pushed rearward. You can see that the pinion was only contacting the ring gear at the heel, which broke the teeth off.

i just popped the cover and let the metal fall. I'm pretty good about keeping diff oil changed that oil that was in it was almost year old and as blue as it was when i put it in. If something was getting hot i think it would turned oil dark.

OP
OP
1BAD454SSv2

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think I'm going to dial the boost back down to 8 psi I'm at 12psi now. Plus the density altitude was at -500 at the time. Getting to old for this stuff LOL

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The noisy rear end when accelerating/cruising says this wasn't due to a 1 time hit, usually indicative of worn ring/pinion, or clearances out of spec (failed bearing as was already suggested). The catastrophic failure was caused by wear, you just pushed it over the threshold with shenanigans :).