Rear Diff 2wd SPE Full Lock Diff Kit users?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docked Wages

Reaction score
For running in the mud (Mud Parks only) I'm used to 2wd with a limited slip. It does two things:

1. Reduces the chance of getting really stuck since 2wd can only get you so far and then 4wd allows you to back out.

2. Reduces the amount of mud slinging everywhere from the front tires.

To my dismay after buying a 2017 Gen2 Raptor 3 weeks ago I learned that the rear locker can't be engaged in 2wd.

I see SPE has a kit to fix that problem and wonder if anyone here has used it? Any long term problems?

https://www.spediesel.com/products/spe-6-7-full-lock-diff-kit?variant=31142987268207

OP
OP
D

Docked Wages

Reaction score
Just now I went out and shifted it into 4hi, Baja Mode, and pushed the rear diff lock button. Everything engaged correctly.

When I attempted to turn the dial to 2wd the Error message was "Selected 4x4 Mode not available in current terrain mode"

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For running in the mud (Mud Parks only) I'm used to 2wd with a limited slip. It does two things:

1. Reduces the chance of getting really stuck since 2wd can only get you so far and then 4wd allows you to back out.

2. Reduces the amount of mud slinging everywhere from the front tires.

To my dismay after buying a 2017 Gen2 Raptor 3 weeks ago I learned that the rear locker can't be engaged in 2wd.

I see SPE has a kit to fix that problem and wonder if anyone here has used it? Any long term problems?

https://www.spediesel.com/products/spe-6-7-full-lock-diff-kit?variant=31142987268207

That kit looks like it only disables the speed limitation for locker engagement, not the ability to lock the rear in 2WD.

I believe ForScan has the ability to enable rear locker in 2WD, maybe someone who is more familiar with that modification can elaborate on the details.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don' think this can be done via ForScan or we'd have a ginormous thread on it. The kit looks to enable the diff lock in 2WD from what i gleaned.

OP
OP
D

Docked Wages

Reaction score
Yes, I pulled the schematic and it's powering the locker via a latching relay so it can be powered in any range and is not speed limited.

Just curious if anybody here has used it.

This is the schematic for the locker:

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 4.04.25 PM.png

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don' think this can be done via ForScan or we'd have a ginormous thread on it. The kit looks to enable the diff lock in 2WD from what i gleaned.

The strange thing is that you can lock the differential in 2WD on a standard F-150, but on the Raptor it needs to be in 4A or 4H. That’s why I was thinking it was a ForScan mod...

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I pulled the schematic and it's powering the locker via a latching relay so it can be powered in any range and is not speed limited.

Just curious if anybody here has used it.

This is the schematic for the locker:

View attachment 152931

The TCCM engages the locker via a PWM signal, which starts at 98% and then tapers down down once the locker engages. If the kit puts out a standard 12V, it may eventually damage the ELD Field Coil.

The TCCM also monitors circuit CCF31 for a short to voltage. If voltage is sensed when the system is not commanding the solenoid on, it will set DTC P187E:00, which is differential lock up control circuit high.