Rear bumper with swing out tire carrier?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James R

Reaction score
Does anyone know if mounting the spare tire on a rear bumper swing mount instead of below the vehicle will affect performance or the balance of the vehicle? I do a lot of highway travel and a bit off-roading with upgraded suspension and don’t want to negatively affect performance at speed.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's a compromise, your getting more weight further back, which these trucks need desperately, but your also moving it up higher which helps no one. With the amount of people mounting dual spares in the bed I can't imagine it will hurt you much. You just have to deal with your raptor looking like a jeep, and having a tire in your rear view all the time :p

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
you can get an aftermarket camera that is higher res than factory and 1"x1"x 1" dimensionally. The camera kit costs $200.

Plugs right into the factory harness and the video displays on the nav screen like stock. It even comes with a bracket to mount it above the license plate.

I have one of them on my gen2 ( tailgate hasn't been on the truck in a year and The rear bumper is now integrated into the bed cage, so the tailgate won't ever go back on.)

I have about 2500 dirt miles on it and it hasn't missed a beat.

as for tires and weight, I had the TMX guys cut out my rear bed floor and sink my two spares down so I have a full view from the rearview mirror. Not for the faint of heart and not particularly reversible.

RexDad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can get an aftermarket camera that is higher res than factory and 1"x1"x 1" dimensionally. The camera kit costs $200.

Plugs right into the factory harness and the video displays on the nav screen like stock. It even comes with a bracket to mount it above the license plate.

I have one of them on my gen2 ( tailgate hasn't been on the truck in a year and The rear bumper is now integrated into the bed cage, so the tailgate won't ever go back on.)

I have about 2500 dirt miles on it and it hasn't missed a beat.

as for tires and weight, I had the TMX guys cut out my rear bed floor and sink my two spares down so I have a full view from the rearview mirror. Not for the faint of heart and not particularly reversible.
I’d love to see pics of the mods and know what make/model of the cameras you are using.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I’d love to see pics of the mods and know what make/model of the cameras you are using.
7LsiZvN.jpg

WET6w8D.jpg
6LF2k04.jpg

HERE is the camera that I'm using. ( the link is for the gen1 version. I am using the gen2 version.) The camera is the small square in the middle of the "Louisiana" on my license plate.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score

here are a few pics of what I made up

loaded with two 37s it doesn’t droop very much at all when fully out. Getting it back in the grooves is a little tight. I didn’t account for making aligning plates to help guide it back in place.

I’m actually gonna sell it if anyone is interested. Gonna go a full bed cage instead.

7A8D8156-6883-4868-9B23-13106B25A751.jpeg

5B4C0C1E-E93F-418E-8E7A-68DCACF22B15.jpeg

0DF31992-E5E4-4B4A-903E-D8DF76396611.jpeg

A605BD01-BF6F-49EC-8A0C-F5693023DC8E.jpeg