Rear bumper with swing out tire carrier?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

They have other options, hence why I said google it

9643a1cbea1d5ccc811a8535610e2486.jpg

Did they get rid of the camera or find a way around it? if so is there another manufacturer that found a way to integrate the camera into the "Tire gate"?

Relocate the camera to the spare tire lock hole or make a hole on the other side of the license plate

Last edited by a moderator:

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with the Tiregate version is that it is added on to the stock bumper and doesn't replace it.

I'd rather have something like this on my truck:
P1012315.jpg

I agree that it would be great to locate the tire so that the rear camera can be retained but I'm not sure it's possible without blocking one of the taillights.

Coming from the more Overlanding crowd and swingaway spare tire carriers are all the rage. I had one on my Land Rover and I kind of want one on the Raptor (mostly because I'm building an overlander, not a race truck).

The first person to fabricate something like this for a Raptor will get my money:

lr320hatch20open_crop_zpsqa9rc2s0.jpg

15701276_large_zps8jj0m0m7.jpg

OP
OP
Rock-eater

Rock-eater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RDTFS, sorry I missed the part where you said search, I was distracted by the picture.

I think the camera issue with a bumper/tire carrier could be resolved by relocating the camera to the swing out or the bumper. It can't be that difficult to do.
I like the one on expo but he said he wanted 2k$ for the basic bumper so I'm not sure what he would want for the tire swing out and then to have it powder coated? I'm sure it would be pretty pricey.

D

Deleted member 12951

RDTFS, sorry I missed the part where you said search, I was distracted by the picture.

I think the camera issue with a bumper/tire carrier could be resolved by relocating the camera to the swing out or the bumper. It can't be that difficult to do.

I like the one on expo but he said he wanted 2k$ for the basic bumper so I'm not sure what he would want for the tire swing out and then to have it powder coated? I'm sure it would be pretty pricey.

Welcome to the raptor tax modding industry. I am sure you could relocate the camera somewhere on the tiregate, just would need some more wire. I think I have seen it done so you wouldn't be the first.

Good luck on your search.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly adamant about keeping the rear view camera in place.

So I did some measuring using an unmounted spare tire (diameter might change a bit once mounted on the wheel) and it looks like you'd have a couple options:

Push the tire upwards a few inches from bumper to clear the camera. It will stick about 12 to 15 inches above the level of the bed, a non-issue if you have a bed shell/cap or a raised mount for your roof top tent. The best option for a single spare in my opinion.

The other option is pushing the spare outwards which will allow for a dual spare tire carrier (the unobtanium for some overlanders). While it is not wider than the vehicle it will block the rear lights, depending on how high they are mounted. This might not be an issue for a purpose built overlander, but for a vehicle that will admittedly live most of its life on the main roads, it will be. I think that perhaps AUX lights to be mounted to the tow connections and be mounted on the tires to act as indicators.

Alas, this is where I wish my fabricating skills were much improved.

Raul B

Reaction score

2k included the bumper with both swings. I have talked to my buddy Chris which is manufacturing them and we would love to get these bumpers on a couple raptor guys. If anyone is interested they would be selling at a discounted rate so that we can get it in thr hands of a couple more people.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Raul B. I'm still interested especially if I can retain the backup sensors and use of the rearview camera, but the money isn't quite right right now. Maybe in a few months.

Additionally, Camburg racing just made a dual spare tire carier for a Tundra Overland build and stated they would be considering making it available for other models based on the response.