Raptor R vs TRX Drag Race

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think it’s fair to admit that RAM built a more then proper competitor, albeit with a lot more hp, which is what sells expensive vehicles in my opinion.
It’s a proper competitor on the street, yes. Off road? Not so much. Too much power for the suspension. Way unbalanced. And terrible range.

And yes, horsepower does sell high-end vehicles. Even when it shouldn’t. RAM has no answer to the TTV6 Raptor. Not even close. All they have is the unbalanced pig and the Rebel. That they sucked Ford into following them into the blind alley is a clear win for them and a loss for Ford. I wish Ford had had the balls to go full race with mid travel and a cage. That would have been something. And RAM couldn’t have touched them.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
HP is part of the package. Sure high HP not needed off road. It's needed between the offroad events. Nothing like leaving work after a long day and getting setback into the seat and doing 0 to 100+ in 12 seconds. The HP is always adjustable by your right foot. If you drive it like a on off switch the 700hp will get you in trouble. Many mornings I drive to work without even making boost. Stays in vacuum entire way. After work is another story.

Last edited:

Dman1624

Reaction score
There shouldn’t be a Raptor R. Why? Because that’s what every Gen 3 Raptor should have been, period.

Ford chose to ignore the TRX, and stuck the Ecoboost into the Gen 3. That’s when I knew what my Gen 2 replacement would be. The R isn’t a realistic truck for 9/10 of current Raptor owners. And for those who do get one, how do you justify an extra $50k for a truck that at best (I’m being generous here), stays neck and neck with a much lower priced competitor?

As a Ford truck guy, I have no issue whatsoever admitting that the Raptor has been knocked off the 1st place podium. And I can’t wait for my TRX

I'm curious to see some more videos to compare. TRX is getting close to the same price now. With their last price increase, a TRX that is equally equipped to the raptor R (level 2, safety package, side graphics, rock rails, carbon interior pieces, etc. Quick to note you can't upgrade to 37s) is at $103,495. so that is only a $5,650 price difference and that is without 37s. I do understand the nice part with TRX is you can order it with the same engine and without all the upgrades. Plus there are plenty of dealers that sell under MSRP as long as you order through them. But MSRP to MSRP for the same options is not as far off as most make it.

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say that both trucks are so close in performance that either one could win on any given day.

That being said, I have little faith in most of the "tester's" ability to actually drive performance vehicles at speed. I'm pretty sure the Throttle House guys have no actual (on track) racing experience at all.

OP
OP
likeaboss

likeaboss

Reaction score
I'm curious to see some more videos to compare. TRX is getting close to the same price now. With their last price increase, a TRX that is equally equipped to the raptor R (level 2, safety package, side graphics, rock rails, carbon interior pieces, etc. Quick to note you can't upgrade to 37s) is at $103,495. so that is only a $5,650 price difference and that is without 37s. I do understand the nice part with TRX is you can order it with the same engine and without all the upgrades. Plus there are plenty of dealers that sell under MSRP as long as you order through them. But MSRP to MSRP for the same options is not as far off as most make it.
You can get a heated steering wheel in the TRX though! lol

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
If we compare sticker price to sticker price, then yes both trucks are pretty damn close in price (the R is roughly $6,000 more). The problem is, nobody is getting the R at sticker. I mean NOBODY.

So now TRX at sticker vs say $20,000 ADM Raptor R, and now we’re talking an additional $26,000 for a limited run R.

One step further and take a guy who ordered and waited say 6 months to get his TRX at $10,000 off sticker and now we’re another $36,000 less expensive for the TRX.

Look, the R is fantastic. No question about it. But it’s not a $35,000 plus better truck than the TRX. It simply isn’t. If you believe it is, then you are truly blinded by brand loyalty.

Again, sticker price to sticker price, sure the R could be the better truck. I’ll wait for more reviews to see how the trucks compare. But when you compare out the door pricing, the TRX is the better value. And they let you keep your heated seats in the TRX!

wweaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are so many people not believing that others are getting msrp. I will be also. Of course they get my 22 37 package on trade in that they also sold me at msrp.

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s a proper competitor on the street, yes. Off road? Not so much. Too much power for the suspension. Way unbalanced. And terrible range.

And yes, horsepower does sell high-end vehicles. Even when it shouldn’t. RAM has no answer to the TTV6 Raptor. Not even close. All they have is the unbalanced pig and the Rebel. That they sucked Ford into following them into the blind alley is a clear win for them and a loss for Ford. I wish Ford had had the balls to go full race with mid travel and a cage. That would have been something. And RAM couldn’t have touched them.
GordoJay, you haven't been on here as long as some of us. The Gen 1 Raptor was special and nobody cared about 0 - 60mph. The truck was good from the factory but amazing with suspension mods! I never once felt disappointed because of the lack of straight line speed.

The Gen 2 was just BS with the TTV6 ecopoop! It drove like shit (turbo lag) and sounded like a POS! Ford screwed over all the loyal Raptor owners and doubled down on the V6 for the Gen 3. That's where they lost a ton a sales to Ram.

The TRX is a special truck and it's what Ford should have built for 2021, ONLY offering a V8! Enjoy your V6, too bad you weren't around at the beginning of the Gen 1 days, if you were, you'd understand. No Gen 1 owner would ever say they had too much power for the suspension, even with the Roush package.